[*BCM*] Re: Bostoncriticalmass Digest, Vol 34, Issue 17

Maitland Lederer surreal at sammy.net
Fri Apr 6 11:54:21 EDT 2007

>    if it hasn't been said, I think it's downright important to recognize that
>    biking on streets is dangerous by definition
>    (size/weight/control/visibility disparities) among the vehicles sharing
>    finite space:  for me, not a biking trip is started without a momentary

What?!?  "Dangerous by definition?"  That's like saying that leaving
the house is dangerous by definition because the odds that you'll get
hit by a stray bullet are increased!  Or you shouldn't cross the
street, because you never know when someone's going to run a red
light!

I appreciate that people have to make an effort to bike safely --
you're more likely to experience physical harm than if you drive --
but I think this is *not* a message we (and by we, I mean people who
want to promote biking as a means of urban transportation) want to
send.  Biking safely is entirely possible, and scaring people with the
idea that they're going to be killed if they decide to start biking to
work is not a good way to get more people riding.

<3,
-m

--
Android Queen.