[*BCM*] MassBike June Update

David Watson david at massbike.org
Tue May 30 17:47:37 EDT 2006

MassBike June Update

One More Day to Win a Cannondale Street Bike: Donate Before June 1 and
Support Bike Advocacy

Please help us make it safer for kids to bike and walk to school. Landry’s
Bicycles and Cannondale are teaming up to help MassBike. From now until May
31—one more day!—all donations of $50 or above to MassBike will be entered
to win a gorgeous new Cannondale Street bike, donated by Landry's Bicycles
of Natick, Westboro, Norwood, Danvers, and Boston. Your donations will
benefit MassBike's Safe Routes to School initiative, which encourages kids
to bike and walk to school safely. All entries must be received by May 31,
2006. (No purchase is necessary to win.) The lucky MassBike winner will
receive a gift certificate, good at any Landry's Bicycle store, for the
value of the Cannondale Street bike ($899.99). The certificate is also good
toward any Cannondale bike or merchandise at Landry's store. Thank you for
your help and generosity.

To donate now, click here

http://www.active.com/donate/summer06

RedBones Bike Party & Benefit: Monday, June 19

RESCHEDULED & EVEN BIGGER:  It’s been a tradition for 10 years: throngs of
cyclists gather at Redbones BBQ in Somerville to start Bike Week off right,
with delicious barbecue and vegetarian options (tickets are $15), plus a
raffle for amazing bike prizes. The original date in May was rained out, but
this classic event has been rescheduled and will be even better! Mark your
calendars for Monday, June 19 from 5:00-10:00 p.m. Proceeds from the event
benefit MassBike and NEMBA. Redbones is located at 55 Chester Street, Davis
Square, Somerville.

Click here for more information

http://www.redbones.com/bikeparty2006.html

Brookline Bicycle Committee Re-established

Great news for Brookline Cyclists! After several years without a bicycle
committee, the Brookline Transportation Board voted on May 19 to
re-establish a committee. Vice-Chairman of the board Abby Swaine requested
the re-establishment of the committee. The new committee will have a more
formal structure than its previous incarnation, to encourage more
accountability and greater collaboration between the Transportation Board
and the committee.

NEBC Kids’ Race, June 24

Come and compete in the 10th annual Northeast Bicycle Club (NEBC) kids-only
bicycle race. This fun, free event takes place rain or shine on Saturday,
June 24 at The Manchester Field in Winchester. Helmets are required for all
racers, and each racer will be entered in a raffle to win a new bike that
day. Registration starts at 8:30 a.m. NEBC is a supporter of MassBike and
the sponsor of MassBike’s annual Pie Race at our summer MassBike Festival.

To learn more about NEBC’s kids-only bicycle race, email fbares at comcast.net
or call 781-729-3656.

Click here for details

http://www.northeastbicycleclub.org/home/

MassBike Seeks Office Space

Thanks to your support, MassBike is expanding! We've already outgrown our
Park Plaza office! While we will be sad to leave this amazing location, it's
time to find someplace where we can flex our muscles a bit. Plus, we really
need a closet.

Basic requirements:
500-800 sq. ft.
Built out (or owner willing to pay cost of build-out)
Common area and at least 2 private offices preferred
Easy access to T and for bike commuting
Secure bike parking or allowed to bring bikes into office
Ready to occupy September 1, 2006
Downtown Boston preferred for easy access to Beacon Hill, Cambridge or
Somerville OK.

If you know of space that might fit this bill, please email
david at massbike.org.

Bike the Miles for Human Trials: September 10

Looking for a great ride? Sign up for “Bike The Miles For Human Trials” to
benefit The Iacocca Foundation, supporting research for a promising real
cure for diabetes. Cycle and see historic sites outside of Boston on 20, 50,
75 and 100-mile routes all starting and ending in Charlestown, MA. Enjoy the
post-celebration party hosted by Radio Disney with complimentary food,
refreshments, awards and great raffle prizes just for participating.  This
event is a MassBike Partner Ride, donating $1/rider to support bike advocacy
in Massachusetts. For more information, call Jackie Fusco at (203)249-8238.

Click here to learn more or register

http://www.bikethemilesforhumantrials.com

Register for Bicycling Skills Classes, Boston and Easthampton

Want to improve your urban riding skills? MassBike’s Bicycling Skills
classes are a great way to take your cycling to the next level as spring
approaches. We have free evening classes (Introduction to Bicycle
Safety—this has tips even advanced cyclists will benefit from), and
day-long, on-bike classes on the weekends (Bicycling 101 for
beginning/intermediate cyclists, and Bicycling 201 for
intermediate/advanced). Our classes are taught by certified League Cycling
Instructors and cost $40 for MassBike members and riders from MassBike
partner rides, and $50 regular.

Bicycling 201 will be taught in Boston on Sunday, June 25. From beginning to
advanced cyclists, these classes will help you ride faster, better, and
safer!

To register for our upcoming classes, click here

http://www.massbike.org/skills/classes.htm

TAKE ACTION:  Contact Your State Rep to Get Our Bills Out of House Ways and
Means!

MassBike has two important bills currently stuck in House Ways and Means. We
need your help to get them out of the committee, so they can be voted on.
The two bills are the Bicyclists’ Bill of Rights and Responsibilities (H.
1411), which organizes the state’s bicycling laws and requires that drivers
look before opening their car doors; and Safe Routes to School (H. 2121),
which would earmark a portion of transportation safety funds to help make it
easier for kids to bike and walk to school.

You can find out more information on the bills here:
http://www.massbike.org/projects/legislation.htm

Please call or email (calling is best!) your State Representative and ask
him or her to speak to Chairman DeLeo of House Ways and Means and Speaker
Sal DiMasi, and urge them to move MassBike’s bills along in the process.
Thank you.

Click here to find out who your State Representative is

http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

Join MassBike at PedrosFest, July 28-30

Visit the MassBike booth at PedrosFest in Lanesboro, MA! The largest
noncompetitive mountain bike event in North America, PedrosFest is a
calendar fixture for avid mountain bikers. Each day offers a choice of
different rides led by marquee riders, seminars and clinics on cycling, a
massive expo stuffed with equipment to demo, and countless activities geared
towards riders of all ages. With camping, movies, bouncing castles, and
games, kids consider PedroFest to be a summertime highlight. PedrosFest
blends the experience of camping in the Berkshires with civilized amenities
like gourmet coffee, great food, a beer garden, and even hot showers. After
a long day of cycling, attendees can enjoy live bands or big-screen movies.

Click here for more information

http://www.pedrosfest.com/2006/index.cfm

Cast a Vote for a Bicycle Short Film

“Film Your Issue” organizes a competition among young filmmakers to make a
very short documentary about an issue they care about. You can watch the
films and vote for your favorite now on MSNBC’s website. One entry, “One
Less Car, One More Bike,” by 21 year-old Jamie Walker of Pittsburgh,
supports bicycling. Votes will be tallied until June 8.

Click here to watch the films and vote

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12721177