[*BCM*] Bike over trash to save on gas

Anne Wolfe axw at michelmores.com
Wed May 3 03:54:05 EDT 2006

Don't forget that in conjunction with the London Congestion Charge, they moved heavily (although they rapidly discovered not quite heavily enough!) to 1) expand the number of buses and other public transport (funding it through the congestion charge) and 2) a very heavy ad campaign to get people cycling through London.  And it did work.  Having come back to London after 15 years away, I'm constantly floored by the number of cyclists.  Used to be that no one cycled in London, and you'd have to be crazy to do it.  Now, they're everywhere, and they're increasing every day.  More than half our office cycles to work, and we're smug lawyers - exactly the sort of people you'd never expect to be cycling through London.  And because we do it, we've been able to convert other similar people to doing it.  Although the fact that it is now costs £8 to drive into London (about $14), even if you don't stop, and a single on the Tube is £3 ($5) to go one way through Zones 1-2, then biking looks a better alternative all the time.

Also, it should be noted that places like National Trust and English Heritage, when they do their guides for places, always include bike directions.  Very handy!