[*BCM*] (no subject)

Lee Peters lfpeters at gis.net
Sun Mar 12 16:15:26 EST 2006

>From the Globe:
The bike shame of our city
March 12, 2006

WHILE I was glad to see the Starts & Stops column report on Bicycling magazine's once again ranking Boston one of the worst cities for bicycling (City & Region, March 5), it would have been more useful to have contrasted what leaders in the best-ranked cities are doing with what Boston is not doing.

The reporter seemed to dismiss the ''crunchy bastions" (hardly true of San Diego) that are actively promoting cycling.
As Bicycling's editor explained, Boston and the state are doing very little to make cycling safer.

Having been part of Boston's cycling community for the past 30 years, the only significant city efforts I've seen have been one bike path and installation of bike racks.

Big la-di-da.

JEFFREY FERRIS
Jamaica Plain