[*BCM*] Boston PD no friend of a cyclist

Anne Wolfe axw at michelmores.com
Wed Jun 28 11:19:10 EDT 2006

In bullet points:

*
	I don't think you can have it both ways.  Either the messengers
start following the rules (even though they're adrenaline loaded) or
they're ruining it for the rest of us.  Most of the messengers I know
are totally awesome people, but man I wouldn't want to be having to tell
them where they've broken the rules biking.  Awesome to watch in action,
but eek!  Look at all the broken rules.  Which as said, a) ruins it for
the rest of us, and b) gives police prejudice.  The biggest problem is
similar to cars actually.  Most cyclists/messengers/car drivers aren't a
problem, but the significant minority who are.........oooo.  People get
very het up about it and we all get tarred with the same brush.
*
	Officers are trained to deal with angry people.  Maybe not well,
or maybe to (as Tom said) assert authority over them to take control of
the situation.  The only thing that unites angry people is their anger,
not what they're riding, driving or walking around on.  I think few cops
interpret anger as "you deserved what you got."  But if they've got you,
angry, standing there ranting on, and a driver no where to be seen, it
is you they get to deal with and the person who angered you is far away
and unlikely to be caught.  In the end run, that means little is to be
done at a practical level.  So they're going to wipe their hands of you
and return to fighting crime and saving the day elsewhere.  This can
come across to an angry person as "you deserved it."
*
	You've always got the right to file the complaint, even if the
cop tells you that you don't.  Take the info you've got (times, places,
names if any, license plate numbers, etc) and hie thee to the nearest
relevant police station.  You file that mutha.  Sometimes it will get
results.  Most times it won't, but still, even a stopped clock is right
twice a day so your complaint could be one of those times.  Good luck!