[*BCM*] RE: Boston Cops and Copping An Attitude

greg at isoia.com greg at isoia.com
Wed Jun 28 10:26:44 EDT 2006

They're understaffed and held up for ridicule on a regular basis.
It sucks to stand in one place with a heavy uniform on wearing an
additional 20+lbs of stuff that also picks up the heat.
Breathing all that exhaust is not a trade-off for the detail pay (IMHO.)
When you need a stiff response to a crisis, it's them on your side or you
either go down or go to the hospital and/or jail.  If you're fortunate to
come out on top, you may still have to deal with them and end up in the
hospital and/or jail.  (I'm not talking about bike riding here.)

We live in a bike intolerant area.  We make it a little tougher for cars
and for those who are charged with monitoring and controlling the roads.
You would think "they" could deal with it, but they can't (drivers and
almost everyone else, which would include police, firemen, librarians and
school teachers.)  I've lived here all my life, and whenever I ride in a
new city, I find the traffic "pace" more tolerant of me (and I ride at
commuting times.)  This is an over-developed, over-populated and
over-priced area.  Those 3 conditions piss off most people to start.  Then
we come along and zip past them in a line of cars.

Cheers,

Greg