[*BCM*] Be the change you want to see in the world.

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Thu Jun 8 10:45:56 EDT 2006

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> >So, you're saying that you don't think there are any warring factions in
> >Iraq?
>
> Of course there are warring factions in Iraq. Just like there are warring
> factions in America. I should know, I've spent a year in Iraq.

Well, in Iraq, as opposed to the US, the warring factions really go at
it, rather than beating around the bush, so to speak.  I mean, they get
to kill people, and bomb stuff and all that.

> >If so, then where would you suggest that someone go to live in a place
> >where everyone was angry and vengeful and it was the norm?
>
> Actually, that comment was extremely uncalled-for.

Why do you think so?

I guess I'm not making myself clear here.  Some people like war.  They
like to fight.  It gives them a sense of purpose and energizes them.
It's not a bad thing, as long as they can find other people who also
enjoy it to fight with.  Boxing and football, for example, are great
activities for these types to get into.  As is the military.  And
especially the military (of all sides) in Iraq.

Boston has a tradition of a sort of passive aggressive worldview, rather
than an outright aggressive worldview.  So if you are looking for an
outright fight, then Boston may not the the best place for you.  Though
some smaller, tight knit communities are fairly pugnacious, from my
experience.

In my case, fighting just doesn't do it for me.  I've grown up as a
fighter, due to my living situation, but I'm starting to realize that
it's just not how I want to live my life.  So, I'm looking to get out
of Boston and find a place where collaboration is more of the common
worldview.  (I haven't yet found that place, unfortunately, though
Vermont seems to be a good candidate, though it's expensive!)

-Turtle