[*BCM*] Be the change you want to see in the world & SUVs

Greg Howard gh at bu.edu
Wed Jun 7 13:46:29 EDT 2006

> Anyway, if you want people to stop using SUVs, you need to offer them
> better replacements for those needs (or their more basic roots, like
> love).

While I agree with this philosophically, it does give the appearance
of my having to solve SUV drivers' need for love, belonging, or, um,
personal shortcomings (another SUV reason turtle missed) before I can
demand that they give up their death machines.  isn't this putting a
pretty big burden on the bike community?  I am all in favor of
reshaping the world to be a non-SUV place, but solving everyone's need
for love is rather a long-term project.

as for reasons people drive SUVs, I would add "advertising".  and for
reasons they might not drive SUVs, I would add, economics.
fortunately, the rising gas prices will tend to push at least some
folks to more sane cars, as the costs are better represented.

as for solutions, I have two.  one is economic: internalize the true
costs of SUV ownership (or car ownership in general), and people will
be able to make better decisions.  a gas tax is a reasonable approach
to doing so.  second, simple regulation.  it's perfectly legitimate
for a society to decide that they don't like, for example, Hummers,
and to legislate that the parking spaces will be too small to
accomodate them.  am I the oldest one here, or does anyone else
remember how there used to be a large number of parking spaces
dedicated to "compacts"?

I'm not saying we shouldn't be changing the world and the mindset of
drivers, but... intermediate steps are available.

greg