[*BCM*] The movement that divides us

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Mon Jun 5 23:41:37 EDT 2006

AW> Except you're just blaming every driver that did wrong.

=v= I'm doing no such thing.

AW> I rarely hear cyclists get blamed for anything.  Until
AW> this article, that is.

=v= I guess I've been at it longer.  I started keeping track of
bikes in the media since 1990, and every time the weather gets
nice, someone upset about bikes writes a bike-blaming screed,
seemingly copied from a form letter.  Even before that, I've
endured the seasonal spectacle of somebody posting such an
article online, after which exactly the same arguments are made
over and over again.

PS> If you look at the crash statistics, you will see that
PS> *at least* half of all car-bike collisions among adult
PS> bicyclists occur when the bicyclist is clearly not following
PS> the rules of the road ...

=v= Which statistics are you referring to?  I've seen numbers
like that, but the "clearly" part was anything but.
    <_Jym_>