[*BCM*] The movement that divides us

Jon Ramos jontramos at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 17:26:57 EDT 2006

Wow, this was a busy thread today...

  All I know is that I walk like an egyptian, and cross like a pedsestrian.  I have never caused an accident, because I look both ways and make sure it is safe. By the way, I DO stop for the red lights, I'll just get going again before they turn back to green.

  I have been hit 3 times and each time I was following the rules of the road PERFECTLY.  1 out of the 3 times was when a driver threw a full can of soda at me and then told me to "get on the sidewalk"  I then crashed.  This was especially dangerous because it was in a rotary.  If I had elected to go when the light was still red, I would have been through the rotary BEFORE he could have thrown the soda at me.  Personally, I don't think it matters if the light is green or red, if I can make it thru safely (and safely for others) I am going to go.  every time.

  - Jon

Adam Rosi-Kessel <adam at rosi-kessel.org> wrote:
  Paul Schimek wrote:
> If you look at the crash statistics, you will see that *at least* half
> of all car-bike collisions among adult bicyclists occur when the
> bicyclist is clearly not following the rules of the road (e.g., going
> the wrong way or failing to yield when required). The conclusion is that
> following the rules will make you safer.

Another valid conclusion is that half of all bicyclists don't follow the
rules; and that not following the rules doesn't make you any less safe.

Your conclusion requires the unstated premise that bicyclists who don't
follow the rules are a minority of bicyclists, and thus they are
disproportionately represented in crashes. Do you have support for that premise?

http://mail.yahoo.com