[*BCM*] MassBike Valentine's Day Update

Dorie Clark bikexec at massbike.org
Tue Feb 14 16:00:18 EST 2006

MassBike Valentine’s Day Update

MassBike Victory! Indoor Bike Racks Restored at Back Bay Station

In late 2001, the well-located and heavily-utilized indoor bike racks at the
Back Bay T station were removed, with the MBTA citing security concerns.
Cyclists were left to park outside, without weather protection and with
fewer eyes ensuring the safety of their bicycles. MassBike has aggressively
stayed on top of the issue, and continued to work with the MBTA. Last month,
the agency installed two indoor bike racks. We commend General Manager Dan
Grabauskas for his assistance in this matter and his recognition that indoor
bike racks belong at the Back Bay T stop. Steps like these help ensure that
the MBTA is accessible to bicyclists and all users.

Letter to MassBike Membership from Executive Director Dorie Clark

Dear MassBike members,

After two years at the helm of MassBike, I have decided to step down this
May and pursue other interests, including political consulting and teaching
at the college level. It has always been my goal to leave MassBike in a
stronger position than I found it, and together, we have succeeded. In the
past two years, MassBike’s membership has grown by nearly 60%, to an
all-time high of more than 1800 members statewide. Revenues increased 27%,
and expenses actually decreased. We’ve added 1.5 new staffers dedicated to
making Massachusetts a better place for bicycling.

We’ve won key policy victories that will benefit all cyclists in
Massachusetts in the years to come, including:

  a.. Working with the MBTA to dramatically increase bike access on the
subway, and put bike racks on 250 buses
  b.. Securing more than $5 million in federal funds, in collaboration with
our Congressional delegation, for the Safe Routes to School program
  c.. Ensuring that all state and local police in Massachusetts are trained
on bike laws
  d.. Passing a law requiring that the RMV update its Driver’s Manual to
include bike laws
  e.. Working with MassHighway to create a more bike-friendly highway design
guide
  f.. Successfully pushing for the creation of the first state
Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Board in more than a decade

I have learned so much during my time at MassBike and am especially grateful
for the chance to work with so many talented volunteers, board members, and
our staffers. Your dedication has made all of our victories possible. I know
that I will continue to stay involved with MassBike, and I hope that we can
continue to count on your energy and support as we move into a new phase of
growth and success.

Thank you and best wishes,

Dorie

MassBike Seeks Executive Director

MassBike—Massachusetts’ statewide bicycling education and advocacy
group—seeks a full-time Executive Director. The Executive Director is
responsible for the management and operations of the organization, and
ensuring that MassBike’s financial goals and program objectives are met. We
seek a candidate with key skills including: non-profit experience; political
outreach; membership development and fundraising; event planning; writing
and communications; management; a commitment to environmental and bicycle
advocacy; and financial administration. Salary: approximately $40,000/year,
plus individual health insurance (possibility of growth based on fundraising
success). Start date: late April/early May. Please send resume and cover
letter to bikexec at massbike.org.

Click here for a more detailed job description

http://www.massbike.org/about/ED_search2006.htm

MassBike Volunteer Night: Please Join Us on Tuesday, Feb. 21

Gourmet pizza from Picco, friends, and envelope stuffing! We really need
your help with our monthly membership mailing. Please join us from 5:00-8:30
p.m. for our monthly Volunteer Night, sponsored by Picco in the South End.
It’s a great way to have fun and help the cause. (Please note: for 2006, our
volunteer nights have shifted to the 3rd Tuesday of every month.) You can
find us at 20 Park Plaza, Ste. 528, Boston (Arlington T stop). Secure bike
parking available; please email for details. Please RSVP to
bikeinfo at massbike.org.

MassBike Mid-Winter Fun: East Coast Greenway Presentation Thursday, Feb. 23

Come to the West End Branch Library in Boston (151 Cambridge Street, near
the Charles/MGH T stop) for an evening with East Coast Greenway 2004 Tour
riders and SAG personnel. A 20-minute musical slide show of the Tour will
give you an idea of what the 2800-mile, 53-day ride was like. From 6:00-8:00
p.m., free and open to the public.

Help Vance! Donate to MassBike’s Printer Fund

This is Vance, our Development Associate, who does the most printing in the
MassBike office. He needs your help. All of our printers at the MassBike
office are donated, and Vance has to hand-feed each sheet into his printer.
We hope to buy one nice, new printer this year. Many thanks to Joe Chapman
of Boston and Bert Scharf of Brookline, who have already contributed to our
printer fund. We only need another $148 to pay for the new Brother printer
we’ve been coveting, plus the first round of toner. If you’d like a direct,
tangible way to help bike advocacy, please consider donating $50, $25, or
even $10 to our printer fund. Thanks!

Click here to donate to the printer fund

http://www.active.com/donate/printer

MassBike 1st Annual Advocacy Meeting: Tuesday, March 7

Want to learn more about MassBike's policy and advocacy work? Come meet our
board and staff, learn about our advocacy activities, and share your
thoughts about what bicycling issues matter to you and how MassBike can
help. Join Special Honored Guest State Rep. Anne Paulsen, a true friend to
bicycling who is retiring from the State House in January. The meeting takes
place from 6:00-7:30 p.m. at O'Naturals, 187 Elm Street, Davis Square,
Somerville. O'Naturals will donate 10% of all sales between 4:00-8:00 p.m.
that day to MassBike.

MassBike-MetroBoston Chapter Seeks Secretary

Want to get more involved in local bike advocacy? MassBike’s MetroBoston
chapter secretary recently moved to Ireland, so we are looking for an
energetic, talented replacement. This volunteer job isn’t just about taking
minutes—it’s about being part of the chapter executive committee and
planning our local advocacy direction for 2006 and beyond. We’re especially
looking for an outgoing person who is interested in creative ways to get
more people excited about bike advocacy. Interested? Email Chris at
cporter at camsys.com.

Vendors and Sponsors Wanted for 2006 MassBike Festival

We are planning early for MassBike’s 4th Annual Bike Festival, scheduled for
Saturday, August 26 at Verrill Farm in Concord. We’re expecting more than
550 people for this fun-filled event. Do you own or work for a business that
might like to have a table at the event, or sponsor a ride? Find out about
this great chance to promote your business or product. Email
vance at massbike.org.

Speak Up for Bicycling in Regional Long-Range Planning

What are the transportation issues that the Boston Region Metropolitan

Planning Organization (MPO) should address in its long-range plan, JOURNEY

TO 2030? The MPO, which covers more than 100 communities in Eastern Mass,
will host four forums around the region where interested individuals and
representatives of groups can share ideas about transportation issues. This
is the perfect chance to speak up about the importance of bicycling and
bicycle facilities, from better roads, to rail-trails, to infrastructure
such as increased bike parking.

South of Boston

Wednesday, February 22

Weymouth Town Hall

75 Middle Street, Weymouth

Inner Core

Thursday, February 23

State Transportation Building

Conference Rooms 2 & 3

10 Park Plaza, Boston

North of Boston

Monday, February 27

Salem Town Hall Annex

120 Washington Street, Salem

West of Boston

Tuesday, February 28

Framingham Town Hall

150 Concord Street, Framingham

Forums will take place from 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM in each area. If you are
interested in attending one of the forums, please contact Jared Fijalkowski
of the Boston Region MPO staff, by phone at (617) 973-7092 or by e-mail at
j_fijalkowski at ctps.org. RSVP by February 17.

For additional information on JOURNEY TO 2030, click here

http://www.bostonmpo.org