[*BCM*] News?

Paul Schimek schimek at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 24 20:34:43 EST 2006

  Lee Peters wrote: "If signed, Critical Mass, using our present mode of spreading out through the width of the roadway, will be illegal."

  Yes, still illegal because all drivers (motorists & bicyclists) are supposed to use the right hand lane except when passing or preparing a right turn. http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/89-4b.htm
  The bill will make it legal to ride two abreast in the right lane, although you still need to move over to make it easier for faster traffic to pass (if there is a passing lane, this is not necessary, since there is room to pass).

    and Lee Peters wrote: "I wonder what exactly we do when doored?  Do we track down an officer and request a ticket be given to the driver?"

    Don't get doored. Always ride a door's width away from parked cars. Yes, even if this means you are in the middle of the lane and drivers are honking and screaming. Think of it as your own little Critical Mass. The bill will make it clearer that someone who opens a door suddenly is at fault -- but don't give them the opportunity.

    --Paul Schimek