[*BCM*] Motorist gets slap on the wrist for killing a cyclist

Anne Wolfe goannego at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 19:18:48 EST 2006

Well, if the regret getting caught enough and for the right reasons, they'll
work on not re-offending.  This girl has had speeding tickets, etc, and now
has killed someone.  But she's still got her driving license.  That's
nonsense from a punishment standpoint, in that she has no reason to curb her
behaviour.  Hoping that guilt might work seems far fetched.  But to deny her
the priviliege a bit of what she thinks is so essential to her life might
make her re-think.  Suing the ass of her might also help - the family might
be willing to accept less $$$ in return for a civil agreement that she
relinquish her driving license for a set period of time.  At the very least
a certain kind of economic justice will come into play - her insurance
premiums are going to be sky high, if she can even get any insurance that
is.

For there to be true justice, there needs to be a system in place that walks
a fine line between deterrence, rehabilitation and retribution for those
wrongs by the actions of another.  And still makes sure that only the guilty
are punished.  Tough call in any environment.  But enough of a campaign
behind this sort of incident can at least call for tougher laws when someone
is mowed down.

On 03/12/06, Moz <list at moz.geek.nz> wrote:

> turtle said:
> >> It would be far, far better if she was willing to front up and say
> >> she's sorry, and that she won't re-offend. But since she hasn't,
> >> and she definitely hasn't offered to give up her car, or even stop
> >> using her phone while driving, what option do we have?
> > She did apologise.  Quite specifically.
>
> That's a step in the right direction, but it's not what I am asking
> for.
>
> Philosophically, the justice system I would like is one that focuses
> less on making people regret getting caught and more on making them
> concentrate on not re-offending.
>
> Moz

Anne Wolfe, LL.M.
Mobile: ( 077484) 76599
Nothing can be compared to a faithful friend, and no weight of gold and
silver is able to countervail the goodness of his fidelity.  -
Ecclesiasticus
Certes, Toto, sentio nos in Kansate non iam adesse. - D. Gale