[*BCM*] Boston Bikers

TSmith4918 at aol.com TSmith4918 at aol.com
Thu Aug 17 11:57:18 EDT 2006

Just some rambling:

So, someone splain to me the following about Boston bikers;  why is it  so
dang hard to get a friendly response, a nod, wave, or acknowledgement of our
fellow bikers in the area?...could it be:

A.  FEAR: People are too preoccupied avoiding becoming hood ornaments  that
they are oblivious to other bikers.

B.  CULTURE: People in this area never look you in the eye even  when walking
to driving...why should biking be any different? c'mon,  It's not like we're
in santa monica or anything:  this is  serious!

C.  CLASS:  Unless you're wearing the latest in lycra/spandex  day-glo clingy
fashion (personally I've gravitated to cotton, yeah, I know,  sweat and all)
why should they waste their time on a recreational biker.

D.  SNOBBERY:  ok, so my bike is 20 years old with cracked  fenders and dirty
rims (comes from commuting 12 months out of the year), does  this make anyone
unworthy of a nod?

E.  AGEISM:  ok, so I am almost 50, it's not like I am hitting on  anyone
from being friendly, especially if we're whizzing past each other at a
cumulative 30 miles an hours.

F.  LACK OF GOOD BREEDING:  don't need to say much on this.

G.  URBAN/SUBURBAN CLASH:  I do bike thru Chestnut Hill to get to  work...do
I look to urban-scary-like? c'mon I'm almost 50 (see E)! and I wear  baggy
clothes (see C)...

H.  THE MYTH OF BIKER UNITY:  maybe I am expecting too much,  rather than see
the bikers I encounter as brothers and sisters in the struggle  for
liberation from petroleum products, maybe we're just individualists doing  our own
thang with little in common.  Haven't we all felt a little twinge  of "hmm, I know
I'm probably just a little faster than that biker up the  road..."?

I.  NO REASON AT ALL:  that's just the way it is.

It's not that hard to acknowledge each other:  critical mass does a  great
job once a month;  here's hoping for a little more nods and waves out  on the
roadway.  It's a good way to recognize what we're doing as a biking  community
for fun and for meaning.

Old guy.