[*BCM*] MassBike April Update

Dorie Clark bikexec at massbike.org
Mon Apr 3 14:31:26 EDT 2006

MassBike April Update

Join the MBTA Rider Oversight Committee

Do you ride the MBTA? Would you like to weigh in about how to improve it?
Consider applying to be on the MBTA Rider Oversight Committee (ROC), a group
made up of riders, advocates, and MBTA employees. Meetings are held the last
Monday of the month from 4:15—6:15 p.m., and members must also be able to
participate in at least one subcommittee (1.5 hour commitment/month). This
is an excellent opportunity for MBTA users who care about Bikes on the T
issues to get involved. Please send your contact information and the answers
to the following five questions to Barbara Burke at the MBTA no later than
April 30: bburke at mbta.com.

  a.. How often do you use the MBTA (and which services)?
  b.. What is your primary reason for using the MBTA?
  c.. How long have you been using the MBTA?
  d.. What do you think are the most important issues facing the T?
  e.. Why would you be a good addition to the committee?

Extra Help Needed for MassBike Volunteer Night—Tuesday, April 18

MassBike’s normally-fun volunteer night will be even better on Tuesday,
April 18. In addition to our regular monthly membership mailing, we’re
trying to get out a 2000-piece summer appeal letter, so we need lots of help
folding and stuffing. If you’ve come before, come again! If you haven’t been
to a MassBike volunteer night, now is the time—we really need your help! As
always, you’ll enjoy gourmet pizza from Picco in the South End. Please join
us from 5:00-8:30 p.m. You can find us at 20 Park Plaza, Ste. 528, Boston
(Arlington T stop). Secure bike parking available; please email for details.
Please RSVP to bikeinfo at massbike.org so we can tell our landlord you’ll be
coming and make sure we have enough pizza.

Gear Up for Cycling Season with On-Bike Skills Classes, Beginner to
Advanced: Register Now

Want to improve your urban riding skills, or get geared up for a charity
ride? MassBike’s Bicycling 101 and 201 courses are all-day classes held on a
Saturday or Sunday. You’ll learn tips for safe urban cycling; improve
techniques such as gear shifting; and practice ways to pedal more
efficiently and conquer hill climbing. This is a great way to get back into
cycling as spring approaches. This course with hands-on training from League
Cycling Instructors costs $40 for MassBike members and riders from MassBike
partner rides, and $50 regular. MassBike also offers free, off-bike
Introduction to Bicycling Safety courses, which are a pre-requisite for the
on-bike classes. Upcoming classes are offered in Boston, Arlington,
Easthampton, Waltham, and Newburyport.

To register for our upcoming classes, click here

http://www.massbike.org/skills/classes.htm

Harpoon Social: Thursday, April 20 in Boston

Please join us for the first MassBike Harpoon Brewery social of 2006! We’ll
be meeting up on Thursday, April 20 from 5:30—7:30 p.m. at Harpoon’s HQ, 306
North Avenue, South Boston Waterfront (near Harborlights/Bank of American
Pavilion). A donation of $5-$10 is requested, and you’ll be treated to free
Harpoon beer, craft-brewed soda, and goodies from the Blue Frog Bakery in
Jamaica Plain. Bring a friend who’s never been to a MassBike event and get
in free!

Click here for directions to Harpoon

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/brewery/boston/directions/index.htm

A New Way to Keep Up with MassBike: Visit Vance’s Blog!

Can’t get enough of MassBike? Our Development Associate Vance has started a
blog on our website, talking about bicycling in Boston, his quest to become
a League Cycling Instructor, and more. Visit early and often, and you can
post comments to his blog. Do you have a website or blog? Link to Vance’s,
and help spread the word about MassBike.

Click here to visit Vance’s “Bloggercycle”

http://bloggercycle.blogspot.com/

Somerville Community Path Meeting: Thursday, April 6

Somerville’s Office of Strategic Planning and Community Development will
host a neighborhood meeting regarding and engineering study to extend the
Somerville Community Path at Cedar Street and the Lechmere area of
Cambridge, through central and East Somerville. This meeting will be held on
Thursday, April 6 at 6:30 pm in the Auditorium at the East Somerville
Neighborhood School at 115 Pearl Street in Somerville.

A preliminary recommendation for a route will be presented and community
opinion will be invited. A neighborhood walk of the area in the vicinity of
the proposed path will begin at 4 pm at the East Somerville Neighborhood
School.

Volunteers Needed: CYCLE Kids Seeks Help Teaching Kids

CYCLE Kids is recruiting volunteer teaching assistants for our after school
program for 4th - 6th grade students. This is an opportunity to help
children get and stay active in an attempt to address the issues of obesity,
diabetes, heart disease, and other illnesses caused by lack of exercise and
poor nutritional habits.   Join an energetic and active team of people
working to help educate children on the importance of living a healthy
lifestyle. CYCLE Kids is an after school program that is based on a health
and science curriculum, and introduces children to the bicycle.
To apply for a volunteer teaching position, please email the volunteer
application on the website to volunteer at cyclekids.org

Click here for the Cycle Kids website, to learn more about the organization
and fill out a volunteer application

http://www.cyclekids.org

Job Opening: Landry’s Bicycles—Boston, Natick, Westboro

Landry's Bicycles is now hiring for their stores in Boston, Natick and
Westboro. They are looking for quality people for both their sales staff and
mechanical staff.

Click here to see the job postings

http://www.landrys.com/Pages/jobs.html

Women in Business Connection Luncheon Features CEO of ESPN Radio-Boston

Our friends at WIBC (Women in Business Connection) asked us to pass along
the message that Jessamy Tang, CEO of ESPN Radio-Boston, will be speaking at
their April meeting. The buffet luncheon ($30 for members of the group or
first-time attendees who pre-register) takes place Wednesday, April 19 from
11:45 a.m.—1:30 p.m. at Portugalia, 723 Cambridge Street, Cambridge.

For more information and to register, click here

http://www.wibconnection.org/upcoming.html

Job Opening: Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals Executive
Director

The Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP), which works
to promote excellence in the field of pedestrian and bicycle transportation,
is seeking an Executive Director (location flexible; please denote in your
cover letter what city/state you are based in). This is a contract position
without benefits; contract amount is $30,000-$45,000 annually, commensurate
with experience. Letters of interest accompanied by resumes are due no later
than close of business April 21. Cover letters should indicate the date of
availability to fill the position; a general

description of experience and education relevant to this position; available
hours per work; other employment commitments, if any; and base location.
Resumes must be sent via email in Microsoft Word or PDF format to
moule at livablestreetsinc.com and kristin.bennett at adelphia.net.

Questions: Contact Michael Moule, President, Association of Pedestrian and
Bicycle Professionals at (813) 221-5223 or moule at livablestreetsinc.com.