[*BCM*] Scattered Thoughts on Massbike, Police, and Class

contraelolvido at riseup.net contraelolvido at riseup.net
Fri Sep 30 23:52:08 EDT 2005

Way to address my concerns Paul... asshole. Surely putting words in
people's mouth is the best way to address their issues with Massbike. I'm
also entirely convinced that the cops behavior towards the people they
pulled over was typical, despite that they knew in advance you were taping
them.

Seriously though, you didn't at all address what I'm saying. I don't
really care how polite or friendly the cops are: what you propose is
esentially a regressive tax - when the republicans do it liberals are all
up in arms, where's the outrage now? Your attempts to legistlate bike
safety will fail, plain and simple.

> There is a huge split between two parts of the bike
> activist community in Boston. Anybody who doesn't see
> this is just plain ignorant, and anyone who says it is
> neccesary isn't familiar with good strategy.

I also take offense to be labeled as 'hip' in contrast to those who are
'pragmatic'. This isn't at all the issue, and I don't consider myself
'hip' or a hipster whatsoever. I know you don't intend it as such but that
seems to me like you're trying to denegrate those with no affinity towards
Massbike by patronizing them.

The split is between two camps, one of which is in favor of political
(electoral and legal) action and those who oppose it. The vast majority of
bikers are in neither camp and don't really care either way - their goals
are simply to get themselves around cheaply and safely. People who aren't
part of massbike don't refuse to join because they are self righteous and
unfriendly (though they are) but because by and far people in the latter
camp have no interest in their politics.

Any sort of unity based on an obfuscation of politics is absurd.