[*BCM*] MassBike Victory: MBTA Buses to Get Bike Racks

contraelolvido at riseup.net contraelolvido at riseup.net
Mon Sep 26 14:44:45 EDT 2005

Bike lanes are completely unsafe anyhow. Someone on here said it best a
few months ago, "having segregated roads makes about as much sense as
having segregated schools". Why are they unsafe?

1) Externalization of safety controls. They perfom the same function as
stop signs and other speeding signs. They externalize responsibility from
the individual to the infastructure, ie. "if there is no stop sign, I
don't have to worry about stopping". What limited effect they do have in
keeping cars out of that specific space (which i would deny anyhow) is
negated by cars treating bikers outside of bike lanes, or on streets
without bike lanes, even worse. It tends to give the impression to drivers
that if there isn't a bike lane, that bikers have 0 rights (when in fact
they have MORE).

2) They serve to make the biker more prone to getting doored, if on the
right. And I've never seen them on the left (insides) of the lanes, but
that wouldn't seem to make much sense either. They also constrain the
biker to be closer to pedestrian traffic, which is ultimately far more
dangerous than car traffic (to both the biker and the pedestrian). God
knows how many times I've almost been run into by little kids dashing out
between cars in central sq. Furthermore, as they are on the side of roads
they are ALWAYS more prone to crappy roads and bulging gutters that send a
speedy biker flying.

3) Ever notice how on bike paths or trails or parks, where there are no
stoppage signs or demarkations that people generally respect each other
more, not less? This point has been beaten to death on this list though.

Personally I would like to see that money spent keeping up public transit
infastructure, like improving MBTA service and running buses 24 hours -
which in the long run will make roads safer to bikers. The cancellation of
the night owl has fucked over alot of people, me included. Streetpoles and
parking meters (which seem to be designed perfectly for bike locking) are
plenty in boston, I don't see bike racks as that necessary - maybe space
to keep bikes inside would be nice, but thats likely not on city property
anyways.

--
In short, Anarchism means a condition of society where all men and women
are free, and where all enjoy equally the benefits of an ordered and