[*BCM*] Take a hint

lynn-levity at stanfordalumni.org lynn-levity at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Sep 1 13:41:15 EDT 2005

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME EMAIL.

------ Original Message ------
From: rob levy <r.p.levy at gmail.com>
To: surreal at alum.mit.edu,	Boston Critical Mass
<list at bostoncriticalmass.org>
Subject: Re: [*BCM*] Take a hint

You could argue that CM is not going to sway poilitics, just
ground-truth.
It changes reality.
Situation A: no CM, no safety in large masses, no fun.
Situation B: CM exists, a new thing is added to reality: a fun large
mass of
people on bikes, being the change we want, creating the situtation
we need.

And then there's public awareness and support, which is only a
good thing,
especially if CM grows significantly larger as a result, but even if it
doesn't.

I think I will make some things to hand out, that sounds like a good
idea.

I agree with all the people who say things to the effect of "we don't
make
decisions as a group, people do whatever creative thing they want
to". And I
hold to my opinion that CM is coherent in its shared force and
purpose.

Maybe there should also be a CM wiki/editable collaborative book
where we
can collaboratively aggregate all our ideas (orginal or otherwise) on
what
kinds of things we can do to make CM more of what we as
individuals like
about it.

Rob

On 8/31/05, Robotica <androidqueen at gmail.com> wrote:

> well, sure, those people who think that CM is fundamentally a bad
idea
> probably aren't in agreement that it's a fun ride, but i would guess
> that those people are in a minority on this list and probably
wouldn't
> consider themselves a part of the anti-organization that is critical
> mass.
>
> so let's just look at the goals of people who do, or would like to,
> ride in CM. obviously, CM is not an organization, so it doesn't have
> concrete, stated goals, but we as people do have a few things in
> common:
>
> 1. we like to ride our bikes. we like to ride them where we like.
>
> 2. we would like to be able to ride in boston safely and without
> receiving regular abuse from other users of the road.
>
> 3. (this may not be true of everyone here, so correct me if you
> disagree.) we would like to see other people biking rather than
> driving, when possible.
>
> aside from these very basic goals, many of us differ. some of us
> would like to use the ride to slow car traffic and some would not.
> some of us think more enforcement of bike traffic laws is in order
and
> some do not. that's fine. but we should remember that,
> fundamentally, we're on the same side here, and there's
something to