[*BCM*] Bike lanes, actually

Tom Landers galaxyglue at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 16:57:30 EDT 2005

Without a lot of education - which the Commonwealth and various cities seem totally
uninterested in - nobody knows what to do with such an arrangement as you describe.
Part of what makes traffic engineering work is consistent expectations - for example,
where other traffic can be expected to come from, and what type of vehicle or person.

Go check out Vassar St in Cambridge between Main and Mass Ave: they built exactly this
kind of bike lane on wide sidewalk.
It's tremendously UNsuccessful, you often see cyclists using the (now greatly narrowed)
street because pedestrians don't recognize they're wandering into the 'road'...
and that makes everyone mad!

If everyone knew how this works it would be kinda nice, though.