[*BCM*] Bike lanes, actually

Richard C. Ehrman rehrman at berklee.edu
Sat Oct 29 15:28:56 EDT 2005

Most of the discussion doens't resemble my experience of actual bike lanes
in Amsterdam. These lanes are not part of the road but part of wide
sidewalk, separate from the pedestrian part. A truly dedicated lane. At
intersections the barriers turn into lines but there are also traffic
lights for the bike lanes to regulate intersection. Since all the bikes
are in this lane, it can get crowded and feel a bit unsafe from bike
traffic, but I found watching out for bikes easier than worrying about a
car hitting me.

Build a wide, dedicated bike lane with real barriers that recognizes the
different speeds and amount of metal between bikes and cars, and there
would be more biking, safer too which is what I think folks on this list
want. I agree painting lines is inadequate but don't throw out the entire
concept.

Richard