[*BCM*] MassBike Mid-October Update

Dorie Clark bikexec at massbike.org
Fri Oct 14 12:27:40 EDT 2005

MassBike Mid-October Update

Buy Bike Night Tickets Now and Donate to Our Silent Auction

This year’s 6th Annual Bike Night Celebration is taking place on Monday,
November 14 at Ryles Jazz Club, 212 Hampshire Street, in Cambridge. This
benefit raises crucial funds that help MassBike’s bike advocacy work
throughout the year, and will feature a fun silent auction including items
such free tune-ups from Cambridge Bicycle and Landry’s Bicycles; an
autographed copy of David Herlihy’s Bicycle: The History; and great product
kits from Pedro’s. We also want to thank our generous business supporters
including Jason and Fischer; Landry's Bicycles; Redbones BBQ; Quad Cycles;
Seth Yurdin, Esq; Belmont/Ace Wheelworks; Back Bay Speedskating Club; and
Continental Resources.

Do you or your company offer products or services that you are able to
donate? Do you have new biking equipment or gear you haven’t used that you’d
like to pass along? Perhaps a vacation home where others could stay for a
weekend? A useful service? Email vance at massbike.org to make your
tax-deductible donation.

If you plan to attend Bike Night, please save time by purchasing your
tickets in advance online.

Save time and money by clicking here to buy your advance tickets:

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1262914

MassBike Volunteer Night: Please Join Us Next Wednesday, October 19

Gourmet pizza from Picco, friends, and envelope stuffing! We really need
your help with our monthly membership mailing. Please join us from 5:00-8:30
p.m. on Wednesday, October 19 for our monthly MassBike Volunteer Night,
sponsored by Picco in the South End. It’s a great way to have fun and help
the cause. You can find us at 20 Park Plaza, Ste. 528, Boston (Arlington T
stop). Please RSVP to bikeinfo at massbike.org.

Donate to Our Bike Night Pledge Drive

With your help, MassBike has accomplished so much this year, from getting
local and state police trained in bike laws to winning $5 million in federal
funding for Safe Routes to School programs to persuading the MBTA to
purchase bike racks for 250 buses. Even if you can’t make it to Bike Night,
we would appreciate it so much if you would please consider giving to our
Bike Night pledge drive. We are trying to raise an extra $7500 to help bike
advocacy for the coming year; we can do it with your assistance. Your
donation will be put to good use and, as always, is tax-deductible.

Click here to donate to the Bike Night Pledge Drive:

http://www.active.com/donations/campaign_public.cfm?key=bikenight

Boston Bike Film Festival—October 21-22

Want to see cycling films on the big screen? The first annual Boston Bike
Film Festival, a project of the Hub on Wheels Festival, will be held on
Friday, Oct. 21 and Saturday, Oct. 22. The first night will be held at 38
Cameron Ave, in Cambridge, a refurbished former warehouse just off the
Minuteman Bikeway near Davis Square.  The second night will be at the
Brattle Theatre, in Harvard Square. All proceeds from the event will go to
bicycle advocacy groups such as MassBike and the Hub on Wheels Festival.
Some of the films planned over the course of the weekend are “Still We
 Ride,” a documentary about the Critical Mass Ride in NYC which culminated
in mass arrests prior to the Republican National Convention; “Return of the
Scorcher,” a look at cycling across the globe; “North by North,” a Hungarian
feature; and several animated films, such as “The Bike Ride” and “SUV City.”

Click here for more information

http://www.bostonbikefilmfest.org

MassInc. Transportation Forum Including MassBike—Thursday, Oct. 20

Join MassInc., the nonpartisan think tank, for a lively discussion about
being car-less in Boston. Share your ideas on how Boston can improve the T
and promote alternative means of transportation, including car-sharing and
bicycling. “Real Talk: Getting Around Town” will take place on Thursday,
Oct. 20 at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, 600 Atlantic Avenue, from
6:30—8:00 p.m. with a networking reception to follow. MassBike Executive
Director Dorie Clark will speak on a panel with officials with the MBTA,
Zipcar, and the MBTA Advisory Board. To RSVP, call 617-742-6800 x131.

Fun Ride: Tour de Somerville—Saturday, Oct. 15

Join us on the 13th Annual Tour de Somerville on Saturday, Oct. 15 as we
explore "Arts in the 'Ville", in recognition of the art, galleries, and
studios that populate Somerville. A four-hour tour of public art will
include murals and sculpture from west to east and back again. Meet at Seven
Hills Park, behind the Somerville Theatre in Davis Square at 10:00 AM.
Refreshments are courtesy of Redbones, home of the bicycle valet. Helmets
are strongly encouraged. If it rains, we'll postpone the ride to Sunday,
October 16, same time and starting point. Sponsored by Mayor Joseph
Curtatone, the Somerville Bicycle Committee, and the Friends of the
Community Path. For more information, call 617-625-6600, x2519. Email:
sbc at ci.somerville.ma.us

Watertown Bike Advocacy Meeting—Tuesday, Oct. 18

Show your support for the start of the connector between the Minuteman Path
and Charles River Path. Come to a meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 18 at 7:00 p.m.
in the Lower Hearing Room of Watertown Town Hall (146 Main Street) to give
your input on the plans for the bike path between School and Grove Streets.
This project, the first link in the process of connecting the Minuteman with
the Charles River Path, is behind schedule and advocates are needed to
attend the meeting and show strong support for moving it forward. This is
also a great chance to advocate for path connections eastward to Fresh Pond.

MassBike Jerseys are Coming, and Bicycle Advocacy Advertising Contest

Jealous of the lucky folks who purchased our 2003 limited run MassBike
jerseys, produced to the highest specifications by VOMax? Soon we’ll be
unveiling the next generation, underwritten by MassBike Business Patron
Jason and Fischer and with the assistance of MassBike supporters Kryptonite
Corporation and Redbones. For more information or to get on the waiting
list, email vance at massbike.org.

Have a talent for graphic design, live action, or flash animation? More than
$2000 in cash and prizes (including new bikes and Planet Bike equipment)
will be offered to the winners of the campaign, focused on the theme of
“Bike More. Drive Less. Breathe Easier.” Entries are accepted until December
15th.

To enter and find out more about the contest, click here:

http://www.civilizednation.com/contest/bike/index.php

MassBike Needs an Officemate Starting January 1—and Join MassBike

Would you or your company like to share office space with MassBike? We’re
looking for a small organization or professional with whom to share office
space. We are located at 20 Park Plaza, in a prime location just a block
from the Public Garden and Arlington T stop. The rent is $600/month for
approximately 350 square feet. If you have 1-4 employees, this would be
perfect. Heat/AC/utilities are included. Lease runs Jan. 1, 2006—August 31,
2006 with possibility of extension. Please contact Dorie at 617-542-2453 or
bikexec at massbike.org.

If you’re reading this and aren’t a MassBike member, now is the perfect time
to join 1600 other like-minded Bay State bicyclists. If you like to commute
to work, ride on local paths, or take your bike on the T, MassBike is
working hard to help you. Please show your support by becoming a member.

Just click here to join

http://www.active.com/donations/campaign_public.cfm?key=massbike&CFID=749359
3&CFTOKEN=34423737

Job Opportunity—Advocacy Director, American Heart Association

The American Heart Association, based in Framingham, seeks an Advocacy
Director for their Framingham office. The Director will plan, implement, and
coordinate advocacy activities at the local, state, and federal level for
Massachusetts including state and federal lobby days, community mobilization
projects, and grassroots efforts throughout Massachusetts. The Advocacy
Director will also work with state health departments and government
agencies to ensure their commitment to our mission in helping to reduce
disability and death from heart disease and stroke. Requirements include at
least two years of advocacy, PR, or governmental affairs experience and
knowledge of legislative process. Please send cover letter, resume, and
salary requirements to
J8D0T46H2F6KQNLP8NC_cbnv~cbnsv at apply.careerbuilder.com or fax to
508-935-3951, with job code MAADVOCATE and the fact that you heard about the
position from MassBike.