[*BCM*] Re: Need Help With Logistics

Ron Newman rnewman at thecia.net
Tue Oct 11 21:40:25 EDT 2005

 > What is the Commuter Rail's policy on bikes being allowed on trains?

You can take your bike on any weekend commuter train.
You can take your bike on any weekday commuter train, EXCEPT inbound
during morning rush hour and outbound during evening rush hour.  The
printed and online commuter rail schedules mark "peak hour trains"
with shading; these are the ones that don't allow bicycles.

 > Is it possible to take my bike on the Subway between North Station
and Back Bay?

You can take your bike on any weekend Orange, Blue, or Red Line train.
You can take your bike on weekday Orange, Blue, and Red Line trains
only during limited hours: before 7 am, between 10 am and 4 pm, or
after 7 pm.
You cannot take a bike on the Green Line at any time.

See http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/usingthet_bikes.asp for full
details.

 > Do any of you know of an over-the-road bike route between North
Station and
South Station that is reasonably safe?

The easiest route is along the waterfront.  Take Atlantic Avenue
north from South Station.  When you get to a fork in the road, just
beyond the Marriott Long Wharf hotel, stay right to remain on
Atlantic Avenue.   After a few blocks, Atlantic Avenue becomes
Commercial Street, but you just keep riding straight ahead.  After a
series of curves to the left, Commercial Street becomes Causeway
Street, and you'll see North Station (aka TD BankNorth Garden,
formerly the FleetCenter) on your right.    The distance is about 1.5
miles.