[*BCM*] Re: All This Rubbish

Robert Arnold rsarnold at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 15:53:42 EST 2005

> > Yes, at critical mass lanes are indeed blocked as bikes drive by. Similiar
> > to how when a car takes up space, it blocks bikes from being on that spot.
> > It is neither courteous nor not courteous. It is simply transportation and
> > traffic.
>
> Not when it breaks traffic laws, which drivers, when caught, are punished
> for as well.

Traffic laws are created in the first place because motorized vehicles
are inherently deadly.  Like bikes, they are driven by either
responsible or irresponsible individuals, but unlike bikes they wield
tremendous power and potential for injury, both to the operator and to
other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, front porches, grocery stores,
boomboxes, etc.

The traffic law argument is, I think, another distraction.  The only
laws actively broken by Critical Mass are the running of red lights,
and then only when the integrity of the Mass is at stake.  For
compelling arguments advocating the need to maintain Mass integrity
over obeying a red light, please refer to Tommy V's previous posts, or
reference this article:  http://guest.xinet.com/bike/newrider/.
Within a Mass, individuals might do things like ride out into oncoming
lanes of traffic, but getting mad at Critical Mass for the behavior of
those indiduals is akin to being mad at the State of Massachusetts
because some dude is speeding on the Pike.

The anarchy thing is a cheap shot.  Critical Mass has no leaders or
organizers, therefore it's anarchistic.  Big deal.  Nobody says you
have to overthrow the government or love the Sex Pistols to ride in
it.

Rob