[*BCM*] Re: All This Rubbish

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Tue Mar 8 15:51:06 EST 2005

rogerbwinn at letterboxes.org wrote:
>>Not when it breaks traffic laws, which drivers, when caught, are punished
>>for as well.
> matt, have you ridden through central square on mass ave?  have you
> noticed the numerous double-parked cars (in the bike lanes)?  have you
> noticed the cops sitting there eating donuts not enforcing the law?
> i've never seen a car ticketed for this infraction that directly affects
> cycling.  that's because there is a sense of "lawlessness" that dictates
> traffic patterns in boston.  and critical mass is a"lawless" bike
> response (at least as i see it).  ever since i've done critical mass in
> boston, that's the way it's been.

Incidentally, it's a well known fact that Boston Police don't enforce
speed limits. There was a conscious decision several years back that all
enforcement would go to parking violations and speeding would only ever
be ticketed in the most egregious cases.

I don't have a reference for this handy, so anyone is welcome to prove
me wrong (or right!), but it's also quite consistent with my experience
biking and driving around Boston.  I'm sure people have been ticketed
for speeding on I93 and I90, although I've never seen it myself.  It's
not uncommon for almost *all* traffic to be moving around 75-80 MPH on
those interstates, well over the posted limits.