[*BCM*] Observation

Ari Pollak ajp at aripollak.com
Mon Mar 7 17:33:59 EST 2005

Thomas John Vitolo wrote:
> Personally, I'd love it if the BPD would join us for the ride, and make it more
> structured.  I believe they could improve public safety and reduce the amount of
> honking and vocalized hostility on the side of both drivers and riders.

I'm sure they would if the ride was organized enough (they have in the
past, and some cops on bikes joined us for the regular ride that fell
after the DNC). But I'm pretty sure they'd also insist that if it were
being organized officially, that we'd choose a time other than a Friday
evening during rush hour. Obviously that time is chosen for a reason -
so that we get the maximum visibility, and perhaps also maximum
aggravation from drivers, who are already aggravated at trying to drive
in the city at that time in the first place.

Anyway, obviously one of the things that makes CM different from
organized "fun" rides is that there is no structure, and it's not
centralized. Though I kind of wonder if there would be a large turnout
for a separate, organized group that did a regular urban ride like CM,
and whether it would actually make a difference politically.