[*BCM*] Observation

Thomas John Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Mon Mar 7 17:12:22 EST 2005

>I'm just interested to hear whether people think that riding in it advances a
cause the believe in, and how.

I'll take the bait.

I ride in CM for a number of reasons.  A non-politico/social one:

 *   Being able to ride through the city at a leisurely pace and without
constant worry about cars ramming into me is truely enjoyable.  Sure, parks and
bikepaths offer this to some extent, but I'm an urban kind of guy, and being
able to see the sights of the city in my saddle (in safety!) is scrumptous and
allows serendipitous cycling situations.  OK -- that last bit was just for fun,
so scratch it.

A politico/social one:
 * I believe that cyclists, when one or two at a time, don't really grab the
attention of motorists and remind them that we're around -- at least not in the
same way a swarm does.  Unfortunately, swarms generally have negative
connotations, such as swarms of mosquitos or killer Africanized bees.
Regardless, presenting motorists with the vision of hundreds (and yes Anne,
Boston CM has gotten well over 200 cyclists: the Aug 2004 ride was a late sunny
clear day in the 60s, and I personally counted somewhere around 250 individual
riders) of cyclists.  I believe that visual power translates into both a
reminder to us cyclists that we don't have to be marginalized, and an emphasis
to the motorists that cyclists are a bigger part of this city than perhaps
they'd realized.

I don't ride in CM to bring about change in a structured, well documented way.
That's what organizations like MassBike are for, and I support their efforts.
For me, CM is about more primative, gutteral, instinctive energy.  It's about
being part of a group that provides synergy.  It's about safe riding through the
city -- and yes, I do feel safer riding in the CM than alone.

And, for the record, I believe that CM is far safer because of the way CMers
ride (straddle all lanes, don't break up the mass by running lights and STOP
signs), because, well, it keeps the mass of a critical size.  Motorists have
proven time and time again that, if allowed into the middle of the mass, their
behavior will put cyclists at much more risk.

Personally, I'd love it if the BPD would join us for the ride, and make it more
structured.  I believe they could improve public safety and reduce the amount of
honking and vocalized hostility on the side of both drivers and riders.
However, I'm not holding my breath -- and so I will continue to ride in CM,
knowing that it's a diverse community with varying goals, intents, and degrees
of lawbreaking for both political and anarchistic purposes.

So, to be succinct: CM reinforces community, invigorates the spirit, and allows
for a safe city ride.  I've not found any other cycling event that comes close
to prividing that level of instant brain chemical activity.

 - Tommy V

Thomas John Vitolo
Ph D Systems Engineering Candidate,
Boston University

Support a few technologists in Washington.  Go to:
http://actblue.com/list/stomv