[*BCM*] Why do you ride in CM?

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Mon Mar 7 13:05:37 EST 2005

I'd like to reiterate a fact that far too frequently gets forgotted
about CM.  As Adam said, everyone who participates in CM has different
reasons for being there (which was why I posted the poll...).

So when anyone says "(Fill in the blank) is the point of Critical Mass",
remember that it's only one person's opinion, not a scientific fact.

If 50 people ride in CM then there will be 50 different "points".
That's why people say that there are no "organizers".  Everyone is
responsible for themselves because there are no "authorities" or
"leaders" to hand your responsibility over to.  (This often makes
people uncomfortable, since many people were taught to let the
"professionals" make decisions for them.)

If you don't like what other CM participants are doing, you can either:

1. Convince them to do something else.
2. Don't worry about it and continue to do your own thing (which may
include not riding with CM).

That's the power of a real democracy.

-Turtle
doing her own thing...