[*BCM*] NYC [Fwd: A(n important) triviality?]

Thomas John Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Tue Mar 1 15:11:14 EST 2005

I say this as a lover (and occasional rider, when my bike works) of CM:

He got pinched.  He'll likely pay some find.  The disorderly conduct charge is
downright silly -- but the "parading without a permit" isn't as far flung.
Given that he can't honestly say that he was just out for a ride and happened
upon this group, he was, in fact, parading without a permit.

Except that he wasn't parading.  He was operating a vehicle in the appropriate
manner.  It's no different than 50 NYers deciding to drive around the block at
the same time.

The question is this: can a group of people get together and operate vehicles on
the city's roads in a somewhat-organized manner without the intent of getting
from A to B?  Is that legal?  What line must it cross to become a parade?

 - TV