[*BCM*] cambridge

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Mon Jun 27 09:45:30 EDT 2005

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> Turtle,
>
> Are Berlin and Amsterdam shining examples bicycle nirvana?  The are
> definitely wonderful rides for me.  I have never felt so safe.  (perhaps I
> was only mesmerized by the architecture).

Not sure about Berlin, since I've never been there, but biking in
Amsterdam was nice, if my 24 year old memories are accurate.  Not many
cars, dense city areas with slow traffic, lots of open space with
pretty landscape (and yes, windmills), and POLITE and respectful people
everywhere.  I'd put it up there with biking in Nova Scotia (except for
the occasional NH motorists - who seem to be the most aggressive and
selfish drivers anywhere in New England).  Biking in Arlington, Mass in
the 70's was good too.

If you are implying that it's the seperate bike facilities in Amsterdam
that make it a good place to bike, I wouldn't agree.  If the other road
users in Amsterdam had been aggressive, disrespectful, or otherwise
dangerous, I would not have felt comfortable biking there.  Same goes
for Cambridge.

-Turtle