[*BCM*] Central Square Crackdown

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Thu Jun 23 17:19:46 EDT 2005

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> I urge all Cambridge resident cyclists to program the number for the
> Cambridge Traffic, Parking, and Transportation bureau into their
> cellphones and begin reporting EVERY double-parked car as a means of
> fighting back.

I think this is an excellent idea!  Mostly because it's essentially a
positive way to help improve the community, and show you care about
other people's rights to the road.  Perhaps calling in with reports of
other illegally parked cars would be good as well - including in bike
lanes, fire lanes, crosswalks, and even on sidewalks (Roseland Street,
near Porter Square always has SUV's parked all over the sidewalk near
the daycare center.  I've called the cops many times about it, and they
simply don't seem to care).

> How many people do
> you know who have recently been injured by a cyclist going through a
> red-light?

Me for one.

Please don't run red lights.  Seriously.  It's disrespectful to me as a
law abiding cyclist and as a pedestrian, and it creates road rage that
gets redirected at me (when I'm sitting at the light patiently waiting,
I get yelled at because some other cyclist ran the red: "You bicyclists
don't deserve to be on the road!").

When you ride as a cyclist, whether you like it or not, you represent
all cyclists.  So when you blatently violate the law, you give the
impression that all bicyclists don't care about anyone but themselves.

I'm for equal rights: Same Roads. Same Rules. Same Rights.

You may want special rights.  And I can understand that way of thinking.
 But please remember that your actions affect others.

Peace, Love, and Bicycles,
Turtle

---------
"One day we must come to see that peace is not merely a distant goal we
seek, but that it is a means by which we arrive at that goal.  We must
pursue peaceful ends through peaceful means." - Martin Luther King Jr.