[*BCM*] Our route

Lee Peters lfpeters at gis.net
Sat Jul 30 00:41:11 EDT 2005

Never say never.  We have been to those places.

Through Kenmore Sq. I found we were being led by some newbies---they
were lost too.  Some believe we will achieve max exposure by going
through the Sox game.  Exposure for what? Our unclear message?  Parts of
the route we took tonight were lame.   If the leaders see rows of backed
up traffic, please just turn left or right, we have no place to be, but
want to keep moving.

Leading the mass isn't that fun because one is missing the communal
qualities of being surrounded by bikes--riding in that safe place we
form.  It would be good if some folks who knew the city well could vary
our route through all of the interesting places of Boston and it's
neighborhoods.  It would be good to trade-off  leadership among the ones
that 'get it'.  Blocking traffic for a bit, then moving to a different
place.  Busy street to quiet street, neighborhood to neighborhood.  As I
understand the mass however, this may or may not happen.

At least one guy got a ticket from Cambridge 5-0, but oddly we got
respect through the block party.  We all know where the tickets get
handed out, right? so let's ride somewhere else.  Keep them guessing.

Tonight's mass was really large, maybe largest of the year.  There was
good music, and folks weren't too militant.

I accept CM for all of its disjointed weirdness, but I have enjoyed some
really varied and wonderful rides.  Max was good at this.

So Mr. Nelson, it is up to you.  Figure it out, lead us into new and
wonderful experiences.  You will be surprised how easy it is.  Think of
the scenery, the ride-ability of the street.  Think of velocity,
enclosure, clarity.  Newbury is great to walk on and ride down but Route
9, pretty much stinks for all.

Looking forward to August.