[*BCM*] Massbike To Blaim For Biker Harrasment

Lisa Williams lisa at cadence90.com
Sat Jul 23 17:00:34 EDT 2005

Your original reply seems to argue that cars are somehow different from
bikes in the eyes of the law, and that bicycles should, somehow, be
freer than cars.

In Massachusetts bicycles *are* vehicles. The fact that one vehicle
requires a license and one doesn't does not mean that they are not
subject to the same laws.  They are.  They're subject to the same laws
as motor vehicles, like stopping for red lights and proceeding on the
right side of the road.

Because vehicle law is rarely enforced regarding bicycles, many people,
both motorists and cyclists,  think that different rules apply to bikes
and cars..  This nonenforcement isn't always good for cyclists, because
drivers also think that cyclists don't have the same roadway rights that
they do -- so motorists often force cyclists to the right or honk their
horn or otherwise harrass cyclists who are simply riding down the
roadway like another vehicle.  The same laws that make it illegal for a
cyclist to run a red also make it illegal for one motorist to force
another vehicle -- like a person riding a bike --into the shoulder of
the roadway (just think what would happen if a motorist routinely did
that to other motorists who weren't going as fast as they wanted to go.
They'd be in jail).

Bikes are considered vehicles in most states. Massbike did nothing to
create that situation, and in fact it's the law of the land in most
states, and has been for many years before MassBike existed.

--
Lisa Williams
lisa at cadence90.com
Lisa's weblog: http://www.cadence90.com/wp/