[*BCM*] Massbike To Blaim For Biker Harrasment

Dan Barrett dbx at pobox.com
Sat Jul 23 02:25:03 EDT 2005

   First, I've certainly gotten the message that Central Square is a
bike-hostile area.  After the crap that happened at last month's ride,
I'd suggest we steer clear of Central next week.  We can always head
over to Union Square via East Cambridge; it's a short ride.

   Secondly, I'm not sure there's that much to worry about in the
MassBike bill.  Check out 5(12)(k)(1), which I take to be the ID
requirement to which you're referring:

A police officer taking cognizance of any traffic law violation
committed by a bicyclist may request the offender to state his true name
and address. Whoever, upon such request, refuses to state his name and
address, or states a false name and address or a name and address which
is not his name and address in ordinary use, shall be punished by a fine
of not less than twenty nor more than fifty dollars.

   So, this subsection requires bikers to truthfully state name and
address when pulled over for an alleged violation.  I don't see any
reference to production of identification of any kind.

   For this concession, you get some good stuff:

- clear language forbidding bike citations from affecting one's driving
record or insurance rates.  5(12)(k)(1).

- a ban on using failure to comply with the > 16 helmet requirement as
contributory negligence.  5(12)(g).

- a prohibition on dooring, punishable by fine and definitely useful for
the injured cyclist who wished to litigate.  5(13).

   Near as I can tell, leave your ID at home, you don't need it.

Best,
d.