[*BCM*] MassBike To Blame For Biker Harassment

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Sat Jul 23 11:22:56 EDT 2005

> They asked for your ID because you were getting a ticket for
> no headlight.  It's not "show me your papers" just for being
> in a public place - you did something against the law, in
> front of a cop.

=v= This response sidesteps the issue of harassment, which is
much worse than the "did something against the law" infraction.

=v= In the legal grapplings over the "driving while black"
controversy it became apparent that nearly every motorist on
the road could be stopped on the pretext of possibly violating
some infraction (and that's not counting speeding).  That's
why pretext stops have emerged as a leading mechanism for police
to harass targeted groups.

=v= Whether this bicyclist has no headlight or that motorist has
a cracked reflector is a much more minor issue than which groups
the police single out for selective enforcement.
    <_Jym_>