[*BCM*] Critical Mass Themese

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Thu Jul 7 14:09:59 EDT 2005

I agree that mixing the CM messages (of which there are already so
many!) with non-bicycling messages isn't helpful to CM.

I also think that mixing messages in general is not such a great way to
promote ideas.  If you really want to organize a bike ride against the
bioterror lab, you might want to ask yourself, "What does bicycling
have to do with biotech dangers (other than sharing the same first two
letters!)?"  If you find a connection, play that up, if not, maybe
consider organizing something that would get your message out more
clearly.

By the way, I'm not saying that you can't use a vehicle (bicycle or
otherwise) to get your around while you protest about non-vehicular
topics.  Just consider the fact that many of the cyclists who would be
likely to show up for a protest ride may be more unruly than you want,
and might drown your message in messy, or even disrespectful behavior.

Maybe for the bioterror lab protest, you could walk around wearing some
good make-up effects that make you look like your've contracted one of
the common bioterror diseases, and holding signs that say, "The Ebola
virus: coming soon to your friendly neighborhood BU biotech lab".  (I
just used Ebola as an example, you should use whatever the most likely
contaminant woould be.) Just an idea...

-Turtle