[*BCM*] Opinions on move by MassBike

trevay at rcn.com trevay at rcn.com
Fri Jan 28 15:45:31 EST 2005

>On 1/28/2005 at 12:18 PM Anne Wolfe wrote:
>John Kerry spent a lot of time this year photo-opping his
campaign by bike
>riding down by the Charles.  The Kennedys organize a bike
ride to Hyannis
>every year, and open their compound to the cyclists to raise
money for
>Special Olympics.
>
>And you've got to go to Washington to lobby them on bike
issues because
>you think Dori deserves it?

No, that's not what I said.  Not even a little bit.  Nope, not
close at all.

But that's okay.  It's been fun, in a strange way.  So, thanks.

"Is there anybody else up there we can talk to?"  "No!  Now go
away, or I shall taunt you a second time!"

I will say, I've been around the block a few times, and I
usually realize when I'm being trolled a lot earlier than
this.  You really got me on this one, Anne.  Nice going.

Now I'm getting out of the way before the cow comes flying
over the castle walls ... enjoy the Castle Aarrrrgghh.

..............................Tom
("Ni!"!)

For the record, here's what Anne is responding to, if anyone
cares to re-read it:

>The Summit's primary organizer is the League of American
Bicyclists, and
>their website contains a press release summarizing last
year's Summit at
>http://www.bikeleague.org/mediacenter/medprs031904.htm .
It's important
>to attend conferences like this and interact with the
attendees, because
>it's the only time all year that both bicyclist advocates,
members of
>Congress, leaders of the bicycle industry and so on, are all
in one place.

>The "for staff" you refer to means that MassBike is paying
for exactly one
>person to go to the National Bike Summit.  That's Executive
Director Dorie
>Clarke, and considering that she's working for substantially
less than I
>(for one) think she deserves given the hours she's put into
the job and
>how fast she's come up to speed on it since she was hired
last spring,
>it's the least that we should do to send her down and put her
in a hotel
>for a couple days.  We always have a few other MassBikers
attending, but
>MassBike doesn't reimburse them -- they're on their own to
pay for it.

>Our Executive Director is precisely the person who should
represent
>MassBike there, too.  So I'm happy that Dorie is going.
Further, I don't
>see any reason why her presence there, or MassBike's comping
her for
>reasonable expenses should create the implication that we are
spending our
>money frivolously on a "fun weekend" for her.  If you'd ever
met her (have
>you?), you'd realize she's a person of great energy and
focus, and not