[*BCM*] Opinions on move by MassBike

David Hammond dabbotthammond at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 13:42:54 EST 2005

At some point in this discussion I saw the idea mentioned of creating bike
maps that rated streets for "bike-friendliness".  I think this is a great
idea, but I suspect that a lot more is involved than just going out for a
ride, taking notes, and then coming back and marking up a map.  To be truly
useful and credible, a series of maps that rated cycling routes would, IMHO,
have to be based on sound research into correlations between cycling
accidents (type, severity), road conditions(posted speed, congestion,
intersections, "pavement deficiencies", etc) and ambient conditions(weather,
light levels, wind speed, visibility, etc.).  Next, a process for rating
streets would have to be developed, documented and tested, and then a cadre
of cyclist/street-raters would have to be trained in that process.  Finally,
there's the aspect of support technology to consider.  The maps ought to be
built, updated regularly and maintained using a high-end GIS package
(probably NT or Unix-based), and the field technology would likely have to
be built, or at least custom-integrated, rather than bought. Each rater in
the field would need a cyclecomputer with USB or RS-232 output; a GPS with
same, AND with programmable data-logging capability; perhaps a
voice-activated digital recorder with USB or RS-232; and a rugged laptop
with an extended battery pack, running custom software, to tie it all
together.  This is because all the rater should be doing(for safety reasons)
is pressing a button and speaking a very brief narrative, at pre-specified
intervals of the survey ride.

I guess I've just described somebody's master's thesis, or even doctoral
dissertation.  The fact that MassBike  assumingly would be willing to
provide and assist in training the raters, and maybe even help to raise some
funding, in exchange for some sort of licensing rights to the final product,
would greatly increase the chances of some Urban Transportation grad student
and her/his prof. being able to pry the needed $100,000 to $200,000 out of
some funding group.  Obviously, there is commercialization potential to
this, which increases the chances even further.

My interest in this is partly personal - lacking such a map on one of my
forays into unknown territory a few years ago nearly cost me my life, and
did cost me several hundred dollars in repairs to a very expensive custom
bike.  But imagine the end-product: Cyclist route rating maps on a CD,
obtained via subscription or by going to the nearest bike shop, that feature
regular updates flagging such things as deterioration, construction, sudden
increases in congestion, etc. That is a tool that, if well publicized, could
entice 1000's of new cyclists out of their cars.

Dave Hammond
Voltaia Design Cooperative