[*BCM*] snow / ice riding

Lee Peters lfpeters at gis.net
Wed Jan 5 21:26:40 EST 2005

I don't know if the snow tires work, but I heard a guy riding a set on
Newbury St. tonight.  Cool stuff.

Ok, the conditions always vary.  There are different kinds of snow-
chunky, sugary, icy, slushy.  The bike will behave differently in each.

The chunky snow you end up riding on top of, which has the quality of
off-road riding.  Bust your butt factor: 4
The sugary isn't so bad, but can disguise ice below.  Bust your butt
factor: 6
The icy, when you see it coming it can be maneuvered, mostly you don't
see it coming.  Bust your butt factor: 9
The slushy is just a lot of mess and is like riding on a rainy day when
measuring traction.  Bust your butt factor: 2

Test your bike as you leave home. See how it behaves in the frozen state
of moisture.  Test the brakes and jerk the bars to feel the conditions
while you are going slow and out of traffic.

During your ride, take the corners slowly, you want to go easy on the
vector that makes you slide over, or flip.  Remember physics?

When you start to slip:
Change the position of the body, get over the handle bars a little,
stand up as a motion to putting your feet down.  When you stand, I
believe there is greater control over the bike.  The body can move
easily to move the bike below you, thereby staying on top.  If you lean
too far forward, the rear wheel will slip under power.
Don't hit the brakes too hard.
When the bike really starts to slip, then put down your foot and bend
down over the crossbar.  This changes the bike from a two point
balancing act to a kind of three-legged stool.  This is very effective.
Remember, if you can't stop, then the car behind you can't either.
Knobby tires seem to work ok, I don't like slicks this time of year.

It can be exhilarating to do this, I say try it.  Be willing to ride
your bike in a new way.  Be aggressive about moving your body to
balance, but be gentle with your motion between wheel and pavement.  You
may still get to work faster than the maroon who decided to drive.
Doing this may get you women, who are impressed with that kind of
behaviour....Go where you want with that one.