[*BCM*] MassBike Mid-February Update

Dorie Clark bikexec at massbike.org
Mon Feb 14 13:57:44 EST 2005

MassBike Mid-February Update

MassBike and the MBTA Need Your Help

Are you a cyclist who uses the MBTA’s subways, trolleys, commuter rail,
buses, or ferries? If so, we need your help. The MBTA has asked MassBike to
help them determine the best places for new bike racks to be located. Please
send us your suggestions on: which stations need more bike racks; how many
additional bikes you believe need to be accommodated; and if you have
specific suggestions for where at a particular station the new bike racks
ought to be placed. Email your responses to sarah at massbike.org.

New! Member Benefit: MassBike Welcomes Simple Living Cycles as Business
Partner

A new bike shop, Simple Living Cycles, is opening in Framingham in early
March. Simple Living, located at 57 Waverly St. (Rte. 135) on the Natick
line, is starting out right by signing on as a financial supporter of
MassBike’s advocacy work, and will offer a 10% discount to all MassBike
members.

They are also looking for a bike mechanic/sales person, part-time to start.
Please call Phil at 508-620-6600 or 774-279-1908, or stop by 57 Waverly
Street in Framingham.

Two Great MassBike Events in March, including talk by author of Bicycle: The
History

Two local businesses are making it fun to raise money for MassBike. On
Friday, March 11, Petsi Pies (285 Beacon St., on the Cambridge line) will
donate 20% of the day’s sales to MassBike. Come in and purchase a handmade,
delicious pie! Cyclists will also get a free scone with your purchase—just
remember to show your helmet!

On Saturday, March 12, O’Naturals in Davis Square, Somerville (187 Elm
Street, the former site of Carberry’s) will donate 10% of sales between
4:00-8:00 p.m. to MassBike. Come hear our special guest David Herlihy,
author of Bicycle: The History, speak at 4 p.m. and then enjoy a healthy,
tasty dinner with your family or friends!

Join Us to Lobby for Cycling in Washington—March 16-18

Would you like to take the next step in your bicycling advocacy? Each year,
the League of American Bicyclists (LAB) coordinates the National Bike
Summit, in which people learn about bike advocacy at the national level and
then lobby their representatives in Washington. MassBike coordinates the
Massachusetts delegation, and we’d love to have you join us this year from
March 16-18. There is a cost for Summit registration (payable to the LAB),
and participants must pay for their own transportation and lodging.

To register for the conference and for more information, visit the League of
American Bicyclists’ webpage:

http://www.bikeleague.org/events/summit05.html

Can’t Come to Washington? Write a Letter to Your Legislator

If you’d like to encourage our Congressmen and Senators to support bicycling
but can’t join us at the National Bike Summit in Washington, here’s an
important way you can help. Write a letter describing your experience
cycling in your community, and urge your legislators to support funding to
improve cycling in Massachusetts. If you are working on a particular issue
or project (particularly one that relies on federal funding), please mention
it! Include your name, phone, email, and address so that they can verify the
letter and respond to you. You can email your letters (they can be short or
long!) to sarah at massbike.org, and we will pass them along to your elected
officials. These letters truly make a difference.

Become a League Cycling Instructor: April 15-17

Would you like to teach cycling skills to others? MassBike is sponsoring a
training by the League of American Bicyclists for experienced cyclists to
become certified League Cycling Instructors, or LCIs. This weekend-long
training (Friday night through Sunday afternoon) will take place in the
MetroBoston area, and is the only such training this year in New England. As
a prerequisite, you must have taken the “Road I” (aka Cycling Skills)
class—see previous listing. The cost of the training is $175, payable to the
League of American Bicyclists. You MUST register by March 18, so please do
so as soon as possible!

For more information and registration details, click here

http://www.massbike.org/events/lci2005.htm

Sign Up for MassBike Cycling Skills Class: March 16 and 20

Would you like to learn how to ride more confidently in traffic? MassBike's
Cycling Skills Class will teach beginning and intermediate cyclists the
skills necessary to ride safely in traffic. This course will build
confidence and teach important safety skills and tips for commuting. The
class meets in Boston with an off-bike learning session on Wednesday, March
16 from 5:30—8:30 p.m., and an on-bike skills training on Sunday, March 20
from 9:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m. The cost of the course, taught by League Cycling
Instructor and former Boston “bike czar” Paul Schimek, is $50 for members of
MassBike, Charles River Wheelmen, and participants in the Mass Red Ribbon
Ride. The regular cost for others is $60. ***Please note that if you plan to
take the “League Cycling Instructor” training course from April 15-17 and
have not completed your “Road I” course, this will be your only opportunity
to do so.***

For more information and to register, click here

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1198371

MetroBoston Chapter Meets Wednesday, Feb. 23.

MassBike drew 27 people in the middle of a snowstorm for our first
MassBike-MetroBoston chapter meeting in January! Please join us this time
around as we build on the excitement. This meeting will be crucial, as we
elect officers and set a “Top 10 List” of priorities for chapter activism.
We’ll be meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 23 at 7:00 p.m. at the University
Lutheran Church, 66 Winthrop St., Harvard Square (just off JFK Street, past
Pinocchio’s Pizza). Email cporter at camsys.com for details.

Also, please consider helping our other local chapters. The Pioneer Valley
chapter next meets on March 9 at 7:00 p.m. (email james at earth.ast.smith.edu
for details) or email bikeworcester at lists.riseup.net  to help with our
Worcester Earn-a-Bike chapter.

Want to start a MassBike chapter in your region? Email bikexec at massbike.org.

Join MassBike or Renew Online

If you’re reading this and you’re not a MassBike member—please join! (If you
’re already a member, it’s never too early to renew!) We’re the leading
bicycling advocacy group in Massachusetts, making change on a daily basis to
help cyclists across the state. If you enjoy riding on the Minuteman Path,
cycling to work, bringing your bike on the T, or just having fun, MassBike
has been instrumental over the past 28 years in making that possible. Please
join today and make us even stronger.

Click here to sign up

http://www.active.com/donations/campaign_public.cfm?key=massbike

Rescheduled Public Meetings on Central Artery Project Transit Commitments

If you’re interested in the Arborway Green Line Extension, the Blue Line/Red
Line Connector, and the Medford Hills/Somerville Green Line Extension, there
will be two upcoming public meetings where you can testify or submit written
comments.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 6:30 - 8:30 p.m., Agassiz School, 20 Child
Street, Jamaica Plain

Monday, February 28, 2005 - 6:30 - 8:30 p.m., Somerville Public High School,
81 Highland Street, Somerville

Written comments will be welcome at the meeting; written comments will also

be accepted until 5 PM on Friday, March 4, 2005. You can email comments to
robert.golledge at state.ma.us and daniel.grabauskas at mhd.state.ma.us