[*BCM*] Re: My winter bike

Tom Revay trevay at rcn.com
Fri Dec 16 16:15:34 EST 2005

On 12/14/2005 at 10:37 AM Tom Revay wrote:

>Cyclists often ask what works for a winter bicycle.  Here's what I've
>used for a few years.
[...]
>*  Tires:  usually Continental Top Touring 700x32, or Avocet hybrid 700x35
>tires, the same tires I ride all year.  I don't ride studded tires because
>they're heavy, noisy on ordinary paving, and they're expensive.  I stay on
>main roads, and I ride in the plowed sections of these roads.  Since I
>only ride on maintained roads for my winter commute, the times studded
>tires might have been useful have been very few compared to the times they
>would be a hindrance, so they're not worth it to me.  YMMV, of course.

That was two days ago.  And wouldn't you know -- but today, December 16, we had sleet, freezing rain, and rain through the morning commute, leaving a slippery, icy mess on the roads and especially on bridges.  These are exactly the conditions where studded tires really help.

If we get four more months of this weather, you'll know it's my fault because I said you don't need studded tires.  I mean it, I accept the responsibility for the weather, should this occur.  I've already assumed the blame for the 1986 Red Sox, so what's one more guilt-brick to lug around ...?