[*BCM*] Bike Lanes Revisited

Pete Stidman pstidman at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 13:13:45 EST 2005

You passed alot of cars from what I can see. Yeah, on
a big huge street like 6th ave they aren't safe, but
neither is riding on the street.  I noticed that guy
out in front of you was taking advantage of both
options in order to pass cars.  And I also notice that
you were smart enough to know to slow down when the
cab pulled up.  It's all about education of the rider
about the lane.  Without it, there wouldn't be a path
through the mess at all, so what exactly are you
proposing as a better solution on 6th ave?

The best in my mind would be a much wider lane with a
door zone.  The size of a car lane would be good, and
fair enough.  No matter what kind of vehicle your in
tho, sixth ave will always be crowded and difficult.

There are many streets I can think of in Boston that
have both enough room for a wide bike lane and lower
traffic volume that would make a bike lane practical.
I'm thinking of places like Huntington Ave, Mass ave
from Harrison to Columbia Road in Dorchester, and
Columbia Road From Franklin Park to Carson's beach.

It's really shortsighted to place yourself firmly on
either side of the bike lane argument.  SOmetimes they
work, sometimes they don't.  There's a number of
variables involved.

-Pete

http://www.transalt.org/e-bulletin/2005/Dec/6thavebikelane.html