[*BCM*] Merely thinking out loud...

Thomas John Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Mon Aug 29 14:18:59 EDT 2005

So, if the NYPD is busting CM in NYC for "parading without a permit", what would
happen if all of the following occurred:

A huge number of cyclists
 * rode independantly or in pairs around Midtown
 * obeyed all traffic laws, especially lights
 * rode neither really slow nor particularly fast

Instead of a single blob forming traffic behind them, the decentralized "gnats"
would slow traffic throughout midtown.  Since they were individuals or pairs,
they aren't parading.  Since they're all buzzing around "randomly", the police
wouldn't be able to track or intercept them.  Since the riders would be obeying
the law, the police wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they began random
arrests, whereas now it is clearly contentious.

Keep in mind that cyclists are allowed to pass other cyclists -- and could
therefore skillfully block multiple lanes of traffic.

Now, I understand that this isn't the same thing as CM.  It isn't as safe for
cyclists, nor does it have the visual impact.  However, a decentralized ride
would still result with a visual impact of many many cyclists in Midtown, and
would have many of the "this is our road too!" impacts merely by numbers.  It
would also give both motorists and cyclists a visual image of what many cyclists
imagine the roads should be like all of the time.

I would love to do something like this in Boston, but the roadways wouldn't be
quite as conducive.  I'd do it anyway though, of course...

Thoughts?

 - stomv

Support a few technologists in Washington.  Go to:
http://actblue.com/list/stomv