[*BCM*] A Response

Robert Arnold rsarnold at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 16:18:22 EDT 2005

On 8/1/05, Lisa Williams <lisa at cadence90.com> wrote:
> That's the point, we should ride the places that aren't nice to ride.

Like, Central Square, for example. If there's any kind of political
component to Critical Mass, it shouldn't run from blatant
discrimination, but challenge it head-on. Here's an actual instance of
discrimination against cyclists and we turn tail immediately. I'm
certainly not a guy who's uber-political, but I also don't want to be
the one who backs down to unfair intimidation by authorities who
should instead be looking after my safety. I could honestly care less
about "promoting" bikes or bike riding to the public. That seems a
fool's errand. For me, Critical Mass is a visibility event: "Hey!
Public! We exist and won't go away, so fix your potholes and give us
space when you pass and ticket us fairly." The event itself may be
fun, which in some ways is its greatest advocacy. Any of us could
start up a monthly joyride, but Critical Mass is different than that.
We should, to some extent, be seeking out the friction points. Central
Square is perfect because it's visible, and it's hostile, and it's
very dangerous to ride through unaccompanied by 250 other cyclists.

If in August we hit Central Square, I propose we all dismount and
carry/walk our bikes down the road. Since I've never heard of a
jaywalker getting a ticket, I imagine we'd confuse the cops just long
enough to get through unmolested.

Rob