[*BCM*] More thoughts about the hearing

Thomas John Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Tue Sep 21 10:38:22 EDT 2004

Warning: these are all my opinions, and do not constitute the opinions of the
city, CM, or Mass Bike.  Feel free to disagree.

I too was at the hearing last night.  For those who were there, I was the final
speaker -- wearing my orange safety vest.

A few observations:

1.  Maybe there was a "bait-and-switch", maybe not.  While it was frustrating to
not speak on bicycles much last night, I think that putting the meeting off will
work to our favor.  Why?  (a) we can organize an even bigger attendance, (b)
maybe it won't be at 5pm, which was an inconvenient time that was rescheduled
more than once, and (c) it will allow us to focus on bicycle issues, which tend
to be substantially and fundamentally different from pedestrian issues.

2.  There were "approximately" 3 kinds of speakers from the community last
night.  Some were pedestrian oriented, some were Kirsten (sp?) oriented, and
many were bicycle oriented.  Some spoke from emotion, others from a legal
perspective.  Some were cooperative with the councilmembers, others were
confrontational.  Personally, I think that the councilmembers really do want to
do a good job (in general), and that if we are willing to show large numbers and
cooperate with them to make changes to public policy, that they are more than
willing to oblidge.  Simply put, they have lots of demands on their time -- it's
our job to both show them that the constituency group is large, and to make it
easy for them to make an impact with a small time commitment.

3.  I spoke last -- and emphasized enforcement of current traffic laws regarding
traffic signals, speed limits, and crosswalks.  It was an issue that both the
community and the councilmembers seemed to agree with.

So, what are some of the things that we can do for next time?

1.  Thank the following councilmembers for their interest and their time:

 Maura Hennigan
MauraH at ci.boston.ma.us

 Robert Consalvo
Rob.Consalvo at ci.boston.ma.us

 Jerry P. McDermott
Jerry.McDermott at ci.boston.ma.us

and when you do so, be polite and courteous.  Tell them that you look forward to
the hearing on bicycle safety, since it is an important issue to you.  If you
live in Boston, also tell them your full name and address.  When lobbying, this
is important.

2.  Be prepared.  When we do get a hearing, it is important to be prepared.
Bring literature.  Bring statistics.  Bring diagrams.  Bring any text or visual
that you can show on the television screen (something 2' x 2' is good), and any
text or visual that you can leave multiple copies with the councilmembers.  This
is important.  Making their jobs easy by succintly reporting data, information,
and ideas means you'll be more likely to get your ideas through, and acted upon.

3.  When you arrive, look like a cyclist.  Suit or t-shirt, bring in your
helmet.  Keep reflective gear on.  Fold or band your right pantleg.  Cyclists
are a diverse group of people, but the councilmembers believe we're a bunch of
undergraduates at Boston University and Northeastern.  By arriving in our daily
garb -- but still looking like cyclists -- we will reinforce the idea that we're
not a bunch of students and hippies... we represent the entire community.  Also
-- if at all possible, arrive on time.

4.  Obey the rules of the hearing.  Don't speak out of turn.  When you do speak,
begin by stating your name and address, and address the committee, NOT the
audience or any member therein.  Be respectful and thankful.  Making enemies out
of councilmembers may feel good in the short term, but it is a recipe for
failure in the long term.

5.  Arrive to the hearing by bicycle, and do so while obeying the traffic laws.

6.  Develop a firmer relationship with State Rep Anne Paulsen (D, Arlington 2
and 4), who is the sole bicycling commuter in the state house, as far as I know.
 If you live in her district, send her a kind note of "cycling unity".  Lobby
for help from the state house, as this clearly isn't just a Boston issue.

I really believe that if we remain organized, focused, and on topic, we can get
some positive changes through.  The problem won't be fixed with one hearing, but
we can make some progress this year, some next year, and so on.  I think it
would be helpful if Mass Bike would come up with a "wish list" and some sort of
priority, so that rank and file bikers would know what issues they should push
hardest for.

Ultimately, the city council is our government, but it's also the government of
motorists.  The council members have to negotiate a course of action that is
satisfactory to both groups... and as far as I could tell, the councilmembers
tend to drive.  We can be consistent, convincing, and compelling, but we must
not be confrontational -- it simply won't help us get the improvements we desire.

Regards,
Tommy V

Thomas John Vitolo
Ph D Systems Engineering Candidate,