[*BCM*] cyclist killed at train crossing

Anne Wolfe goannego at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 09:59:38 EDT 2004

While without question I totally feel for the family in this circumstance, I'm not sure
how train whistles would have save this kid.  The gates go down for a reason.  People die
frequently when they ride around the dropped arms and ignore the blinking lights, whether
it is in a car, a bike, or even if they walk.
Anne

--- Dan Barrett <dbx at sack.dreamhost.com> wrote:

> /*
> Note the key part: Beverly's ban on train whistles cannot be reviewed,
> because the accident did involve a car
> */
>

> Bicyclist, 14, killed near train crossing
> Officials say boy rode around gate
>
> By Steven Rosenberg and Mac Daniel, Globe Staff  |  October 14, 2004
>
> BEVERLY -- Darting away from his mother and younger sister yesterday while
> riding his mountain bike to school, 14-year-old David Siljeholm rode
> around the dropped arms and blinking lights of a railroad crossing gate
> and was struck by an inbound MBTA commuter train, dying instantly,
> authorities said.
>

> Siljeholm, whose family recently moved from Melrose to
> Manchester-by-the-Sea, died about 50 yards from the crossing at Hale and
> West streets in Beverly Farms at about 7:45 a.m., with his mother and
> sister arriving at the scene seconds later, unaware of what had happened,
> officials said.
>

> Beverly is one of the communities in Massachusetts that have been granted
> state permission to enact whistle bans and opt out of regulations that
> require trains to sound their whistles for at least three blasts before
> every street-level railroad crossing. That means that no whistle was
> sounded as the commuter train approached Siljeholm, according to
> preliminary reports on the accident by the Federal Railroad Administration
> and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.
>

> Joe Santoro, who was working on a road construction project near the
> crossing, said he heard the accident and immediately rushed toward the
> train.
>

> "I heard a loud crack, and I said to my truck driver, 'The train just hit
> something,' " he said. "Then we saw papers floating down, and we ran over
> and saw the bicycle and the kid on the tracks."
>

> Seconds later, he said, he watched the boy's mother and sister cross the
> tracks on their bicycles. "She came up and said, 'What happened?' "
> Santoro said. "I told her some kid just got hit by a train, and she said,
> 'Oh my God, that's my son.' "
>

> Steve O'Connell, spokesman for Essex District Attorney Jonathan W.
> Blodgett, said yesterday that the accident remains under investigation.
>

> "He had sprinted ahead of us," said the boy's mother, Anita Siljeholm, who
> was accompanying her son and daughter, Marian, to school when the accident
> occurred.
>

> According to O'Connell and officials of the MBTA and the railroad
> administration, the gates at the crossing were down, and warning lights
> were flashing at the time of the accident. The MBTA and the federal agency
> also said bells were ringing.
>

> The accident occurred less than a mile from the Cape Ann Waldorf School in
> Beverly Farms, a private elementary and middle school where Siljeholm was
> in the eighth grade. School officials said that parents, students, and
> faculty were reeling from the news.

> [...]

=====

"I wish in the city of your heartyou would let me be the streetwhere you walk when you are mostyourself." - Robley Wilson