[*BCM*] Cambridge po-po sighting

rogerbwinn at letterboxes.org rogerbwinn at letterboxes.org
Thu Oct 14 00:09:39 EDT 2004

hey russell,

i support you riding your bike however you desire.  and really you don't
sound like you ride that differently than me.  it's not like a get to
every light and run it on purpose.  when it feels right or advantageous
i run it, just as you sometimes do.  and it sounds like when you have a
law that says it's okay to run lights you'll do it all the more often.
the only difference being "diplomacy" and, honestly, i don't really care
about being that diplomatic to cars.  cyclists and automobile drivers
are different. this seems to be a widely accepted fact, it's not just
me.  visually, the way they work, how they're treated in law books, etc.
 i'm not going to act like a car just because that's what car culture
wants.  and if cars get pissed that i beat them to some place i'm fine
with that.

as for my analogy, i was responding to turtle's question of what i've
done to make things better for cyclist safety.  and i was saying that i
didn't think that the burden should be placed on the cyclist to make
things better.  just as it shouldn't be placed on african-americans.  it
probably will be, fine, but it shouldn't be.  and that's not where i
feel it's fairest to point fingers.  and i never claimed that i was
doing some great political act by running lights.  but there are plenty
of other laws that i feel are ridiculous to follow (ie. sodomy laws).  i
don't see any need for people to get those off the book before they have
sex.  i don't see the need to stop running lights before they change the
law.  and if some asshole cop gives me a ticket, i'll deal with it as
another annoyance of the state.

and i think this whole, "you'll never get hit if you don't run red
lights and ride defensively" is ridiculous and misleading.  the three
times i got hit had nothing to do with running red lights or not riding
defensively.  i'm glad that you and turtle have not been hit-- and i
hope you never are.  but i know plenty of people who are very
defensive riders that have been nailed-- many more than be put off as a
rare exception.  maybe boston is rougher than st. louis.

and i never said ignore stop lights.  if the light is red, you should
take that into consideration and look and slow down and stop if
necessary.  i'm just saying that they shouldn't always mean stop to
cyclists (as you seem to think as well)

love,
roger