[*BCM*] October riders can light up the night!

Paul A. Steckler steck at stecksoft.com
Wed Oct 13 01:07:37 EDT 2004

Turtle wrote:

> Just FYI, you are required, by law, to have a headlight if
> you want to operate your bike at night.  The fact that bike
> manufacturers and dealers don't install them as standard
> equiptment, or even tell you that you need one, indicates
> that we still have a LOOOONNNNGG way to go to get people to
> realize that bikes are perfectly respectable vehicles for
> transportation, and not just toys.

So, last Saturday night I went with a friend up to San Francisco
to attend one of the Bicycle Film Festival programs
(http://www.bicyclefilmfestival.com/).  No doubt, my friend and
I were the oldest folks in the young and rowdy crowd.  Many in
the crowd rode bikes to the show, and surely considered their
bikes "perfectably respectable vehicles for transportation".

When the films were over, it was 9 p.m. and dark out.  Of the
many riders I saw leaving the theater, only one had a headlamp
of any sort.  Not only was that disappointing, but dangerous: one
of the riders, who I did not see at all, almost creamed me as I
hailed a cab.

These were "bicycle people", but they didn't know how to ride
safely!

-- Paul