[*BCM*] Horrifying editorial in the TAB

Anne Wolfe goannego at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 17:07:32 EDT 2004

Ok, so the guy's entire logic (after his "I hate cycling/fitness/pineapple on pizza" weirdness) is that cyclists deserve to get hit by lunatic drivers because he's an unfit, car driving slobbo?

Max, honey, April fool is in April........ ;)

Max Harless <mharless at wesleyan.edu> wrote:
Can someone please respond to this? I have to pack. It appeared in
last week's Allston-Brighton TAB (and maybe other TABs as well?)
-max

http://www2.townonline.com/allston/opinion/view.bg?articleid=40577&format=text

Steer clear of two-wheeled treachery
By Dave Gradijan
Friday, July 16, 2004

Ready or not, it's time for a pop quiz.
If you find yourself sitting at the back of a miles-long
traffic jam, the cause of the backup is most likely:
A) A multi-car accident.
B) One of those rare Massachusetts earthquakes that opened up a
22-foot chasm in the roadway, and in the process revealed Whitey
Bulger's hideout.
C) A band of raucous youth that stole an ice cream truck and
finally got nabbed by police, who are waiting for backup officers to
get the chilling scene under control.
D) Seven bicyclists who are riding along the street, side by
side instead of single file, thereby occupying each lane of the
heavily traveled road.
Certainly answer A is a logical guess, and I could hardly blame
you for going with B or C because, hey, weirder things happen every
day, like when people cheer for the New York Yankees.
But in my own experience, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the
final answer, as Regis Philbin would call it, because nary a day
passes in this wondrous summer season when I don't see some dude
riding a bicycle who doesn't appear to realize that it's unadvisable
to play chicken with a FedEx driver who absolutely, positively has to
be there overnight.
Kudos to anyone who can pedal away for miles on a daily basis,
because to me the activity is only a wee bit more enjoyable than
jogging, which in my book is almost as silly an idea as putting
pineapple on a pizza. Think about it: Have you ever seen a jogger
giggling or even breaking a subtle smirk as he huffs and puffs his
way into physical oblivion? More likely, he appears as if he is being
jabbed in the gut with an ice pick.
But I digress. What bicyclists need to realize is that, even
without their presence, the roads are already replete with legitimate
hazards such as potholes, Whitey Bulger hideouts and drivers who
believe the turn signal is supposed to be saved for emergencies.
Alas, many fail to understand that it simply isn't safe to use a
bicycle to navigate your way along a narrow, winding road that can
barely fit two average-sized go-carts. All it takes is one zipperhead
with a driver's license to come barreling around the corner at 60
mph, and the cyclist who is occupying a third of the skimpy lane is
likely to get himself killed, maimed, or at the very least see his
Schwinn Super Sport land in that Great Bicycle Rack in the Sky.
Worse still are the biker groups who ride two or more abreast,
casting aside those all-important "single file" lessons we were
taught in elementary school on our way to the cafeteria to consume
our peanut butter and jelly du jour.
Even if an accident doesn't result from this neglectful
strategy, a lengthy line of frustrated drivers who are unable to pass
the cyclists most certainly will. Cars that are capable of going from
zero to 60 in 2.7 nanoseconds will instead be progressing so slowly
that you'd think they worked in state government.
Occasionally I spot a bicyclist actually using the sidewalk,
where one is present, to ensure his or her own safety, which I
usually respond to by giving that biker dude a thumbs-up or a
pumped-fist "Rock On" sign to demonstrate my approval. Most also
deserve credit for wearing bright-colored, albeit dorky-looking
apparel and being sure to use a helmet, which virtually nobody on a
bicycle wore when I was just a little lad.
Summer is prime cycling season, to be sure, and no amount of
whining on my part is going to deter enthusiasts from taking to the
streets, so we drivers have to be all the more aware as we motor our
way about town, especially on those narrow roadways where you often
can't see beyond the oak tree 8 feet ahead.
But the bikers themselves also need to remember that, while the
activity can be fun and serve as excellent exercise, it is important
not to strap that helmet on so tightly that your brain ceases to
exercise common sense as you're pedaling away.
If you actually take my advice, well shucks, I might even foot
the bill so you can get some cooler-looking clothes.
Dave Gradijan can be reached at dgradijan at cnc.com.

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it would have changed the history of music...and of aviation." --Tom Stoppard