[*BCM*] Boston Mayor's Race

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Tue Aug 13 21:51:42 EDT 2013

Hi All:

Typically CM is not (and probably shouldn't be) particularly involved in
electoral politics, but I wanted to at least put the Boston mayoral race
on the radar in this forum. We should be challenging all of the
candidates to step up (and speak out) on bike issues. Toward that end, I
encouraged Mike Ross (the candidate who I'm sure has biked most around
the city) to put out some bullet points on his bike platform. Here's
what I got back -- feel free to pass along (also up on his website
<http://www.mikeforboston.com/priorities/Transportation>, in addition to
policies on mass transit, "smart traffic grid", and modernizing taxis).
I encourage everyone to get involved--all the candidates need to hear
that bicyclists are organized and active voters.

Adam

*/Making Boston the number one city in America for cyclists./*

As Boston continues to grow and thrive, our transportation network must
include a wide range of options that provide a safe, affordable,
convenient, and sustainable alternatives to driving. Biking is an
essential component of that network and Mike is committed to making
Boston the number one city in America for cyclists. To achieve that,
residents of all ages and backgrounds need to feel safe and secure while
biking in Boston. Mayor Menino helped improve the state of biking in
Boston and Mike will build on that work in the following ways:

*1. Expand Boston's Bike Infrastructure and Build a Network of Separated
Cycle Tracks*

- Build a network of dedicated, separated cycle tracks that connects
every neighborhood to each other

- Continue to add miles of bike lanes to city streets across all
neighborhoods

- Plan for connected bike routes between city parks

- Increase wayfinding signs for bikers in all parts of the city

- Increase the number of curbside bike racks, bike shelters, and bike
corrals

*2. Establish a Problem Intersection Task Force to Address Dangerous
Crossings*

- Modeled on Problem Properties Task Force, establish a multi-agency,
community connected effort to improve safety at key intersections across
city
- Improve safety at dangerous intersections collaborative identification
of small and easily implemented street improvements that can be achieved
ahead of comprehensive street redesign efforts. Sometimes all that is
needed is move a bus stop 50 feet or install a turning signal to make a
dangerous intersection safer.

*3. Increase Education and Awareness For Cyclists and Drivers*

- Partner with universities to teach and promote bike safety to incoming
students

- Leverage community partners to teach bike safety in Boston Public Schools

- Promote bike safety and awareness to drivers, especially MBTA bus
drivers, truck drivers, and city employees

- Strive to create a culture of mutual respect and responsibility among
cyclists and drivers

*4. Expand and Extend Hubway*

- Support the expansion of the Hubway station network to all
neighborhoods, especially those underserved by other means of public transit

- Extend the Hubway season as long as is feasible

- Continue to support subsidized memberships for low income residnets to
encourage transit equity