[*BCM*] Red-light runners crackdown...

Thomas Vitolo tjvitolo at tommyvitolo.com
Tue Sep 20 17:18:03 EDT 2011

A few reminders about red lights and the police:

Firstly, don't run red lights.  If you do get pulled over...
a.  You do NOT have to show ID
b.  You do have to tell your actual name and address
c.  You do NOT have to provide any additional information such as SSN
d.  You OUGHT be polite and respectful
e.  At any time, you are free to say "Am I being detained?"  and if the
answer is ever "no" you can say "Am I free to go?"  This is important
language, because the police can either detain you or let you go, not a
mushy middle.  If you are being detained, you have rights and they have
procedures.  I'm not suggesting you open with this question, but if you
feel like the officer is no longer being "efficient" with the stop, it's
an option
f.  You should always get the officer's name, district [Boston has
multiple], and badge number.  The officer won't refuse; he or she knows
better than that.

  - Tommy